question about PPA build w/ LaRocco Discrete Diamond Buffer
Sep 9, 2004 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jboehle

1000+ Head-Fier
Besides the Intersil buffers, what other parts does one leave out of a fresh PPA build if building for use with the LaRocco buffer?

LaRocco's page says to leave out the C2 caps, are those the only other parts besides the buffers to omit?

-Jason

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jboehle
Besides the Intersil buffers, what other parts does one leave out of a fresh PPA build if building for use with the LaRocco buffer?

LaRocco's page says to leave out the C2 caps, are those the only other parts besides the buffers to omit?

-Jason

Technically you only need to put R14 in (omit R11-R13), but I believe you can also add them if you want to swap out the DB with chip buffers.

Here's the link for the LaRocco fourm boards if you want to search/hunt there. Plus when you buy a buffer module, you will receive instructions...etc.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 11
No prob on the hijacking of the thread, I am interested in any info that can be had on building a top-line PPA w/ LaRocco buffer.

I am putting together a parts list right now that I will post in the next couple of days to make sure I don't miss anything.

MisterX, you said you can leave out R11, R13, and R14, but thrice says that R12 can be left out as well, but that R14 is required...which one is it?
confused.gif

I checked out the LaRocco boards but didn't find any useful info there (although maybe I just didn't look hard enough...).

-Jason

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 11
The benefit would be the ability to use the dip-8 buffers. You could of course add the resistors later if you wanted to use the integrated buffers, but I don't know why you'd want to do that. The diamond buffer is really nice and smooth. You should seriously consider a stepped attenuator as well (really).

I like having both, and it would be difficult, but if I could have only one- I'd probably take the attenuator over the buffer. And I really, *really* like the buffer.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Voodoo, I definitely plan on a stepped attenuator in addition to the LaRocco buffer. I know I asked you this in PM, but I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions on which stepped attenuatoro to get: TKD, DACT, Goldpoint, DIY, etc....

-Jason

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Oh yeah...
eek.gif

I like both the Goldpoint and the Dact. If the price is equal, I like the Dact mainly for the more compact size. I don't note any improvement with SMD resistors over the Vishays on the Goldpoint. Recently the price of the Dact shot up to $180, but DIY has had them on sale a few times for $150, which is comparable to the Goldpoint. THL sells them for less, but you have to wait longer, get a price quote, and they don't (AFAIK) accept Paypal if that matters.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 11
Build your own attenuator using one of the Elma switches that there have been a few group buys on lately. If anyone needed on that didn't get one before, I have a couple of extras along with a complete set of RN60D resistors to fill it out sitting around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back