Question about possible CE775 mod
Dec 22, 2002 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fenster

100+ Head-Fier
I was lucky enough to snag a Sony SCD-CE775 player at a local electronics store the other day ($179 off the shelf, the last one they had!), and I've had it burning in for about 24 hours now.

Anyway, I've read about the advantages of disconnecting the headphone jack on other cd players (like the Denon), but was wondering if anybody's ever done this with the CE775? If so, any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks,

-Fenster

Dec 24, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 11
Can't say i've heard of that mod???

On my CD Player... there isn't a headphone jack at all, and its a semi-high end unit... maybe there is some merit to it???

Dec 24, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Can't say i've heard of that mod???

On my CD Player... there isn't a headphone jack at all, and its a semi-high end unit... maybe there is some merit to it???

Well, my thinking was that the circuitry of the headphone out on the player was far inferior to using the analog rca out w/the use of a dedicated headphone amp, making the headphone out obselete.

In another thread, someone was discussing how opening up the Denon 370 and disconnecting the headphone out from the inside of the unit somehow made it sound a lot better.

My question was, has anyone tried performing this on similar players with a headphone jack on the front (like the CE775)?

Anyone?

confused.gif

-Fenster

Dec 24, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 11
I've never heard of that mod before either.

What you could try is to listen to your headphones through the headphone amp and see whether you can hear a difference between having another headphone plugged into the headphone jack on the CD player and leaving it out.

If the headphone jack is not buffered, you should hear a difference.

Dec 25, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 11
I noticed that the 775 has not only the 6 outputs for multi channel SACD, but also a seperate two channel output. Can the 775 feed two systems, one in multi ch and 2ch SACD and another just two channel stereo?

Dec 25, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Yes, you can hook up two preamps to the Sony, although one system is two channels only.
You can also change the settings so that the multichannel left and right channels behave like regular two channels. This is great for testing gear, you can for instance hook up two headphone amps at the same time and make quick comparisons.

Dec 26, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Yes, you can hook up two preamps to the Sony, although one system is two channels only.
You can also change the settings so that the multichannel left and right channels behave like regular two channels. This is great for testing gear, you can for instance hook up two headphone amps at the same time and make quick comparisons.

Can you also do this with the 555ES player? Is there a switch I can deploy when I pop open the cover, or do I need to do some soldering? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 11
Just looked through the owner's manual for the 555es and couldn't find anything alluding to the "switch" for multichannel to 2channel.

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Usually the 775 plays multichannel if it's available on the disc on the multichannel outs and a two channel mix on the stereo RCAs.
You can just push the green LED pushbotton on the front to disable multichannel for this particular disc or you can go through the setup and have the player default to two channel playback whenever a disc is inserted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back