Question about Planar Magnetic Driver
Jul 3, 2015 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

baadaq

Head-Fier
i have a tons of doubt that i want to share with you guys, in the audio world what's the real meaning of transient response?, for example it give you a more "real life" or neutral response?, what about all the fuss with old technology about them?, they seem quite fragile(from what i had seen.. the filament insidethem  seem easily break able), another question that i have... being their driver soo big and rigid, it does requiere more power to function properly?, and what about the high range of frequency, it should be not soo good or a little rolled off, and finally why the sudden "resurection" of the orthodynamics drivers that where used in the 70's(it should be possible to mix dynamic with ortho to get a better accuracy?), its really because they perform better or has to do with the audiophile world?.
sorry about my grammar (non-native english writer).

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 2
  i have a tons of doubt that i want to share with you guys, in the audio world what's the real meaning of transient response?, for example it give you a more "real life" or neutral response?, what about all the fuss with old technology about them?, they seem quite fragile(from what i had seen.. the filament insidethem  seem easily break able), another question that i have... being their driver soo big and rigid, it does requiere more power to function properly?, and what about the high range of frequency, it should be not soo good or a little rolled off, and finally why the sudden "resurection" of the orthodynamics drivers that where used in the 70's(it should be possible to mix dynamic with ortho to get a better accuracy?), its really because they perform better or has to do with the audiophile world?.
sorry about my grammar (non-native english writer).

What is the real world meaning of transient response?

Depends on what sort of transient response you are talking about.

If we go back to 1975 magazine technical test reports commonly contained:

(1) Tone burst response of speakers

(2) Square wave response of phono cartridges

(3) Square wave response of power amplifiers

Today you can read dozens of test reports and see none of the above.

I think that the square wave tests went away because they mostly related to phono cartridges and tubed power amps with output transformers, and their market share dropped precipitously.

The rest went away because it was discovered that the ear has pretty limited sensitivity to square wave and tone burst response above 500-1 KHz, and that rooms destroy square wave and tone burst response below 200-500 Hz. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back