Question about Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
Mar 27, 2002 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought this album yesterday and it's my first album from these guys. I have to say it's quite fantastic, but at first listen I was weirded out by all the moaning and screaming, especially on the song Brain Damage.

I had a question though. One of the reviewers on Epinions had this to say about his copy of the album:

"The particular CD I own is the original black label Harvest edition that was made in Japan (CDP 7-46001-2)."

"The introduction to this album is an instrumental piece written by Nick Mason. It fades in from an almost imperceptible level, and then, very faintly, someone speaks in a kind of babble (this part is not available on most other versions of the album, and is why the Japanese pressing is so highly regarded)"

He says that the faint babble in the beginning is inaudible on other versions of the album. I bought my copy at Best Buy where I work and it didn't seem like an "original" special version to me and when I was listening to the intro with my Etys (quite an experience) I could hear the babble. It was faint, but it was all there. I'm of course talking about the first song Speak to me/Breathe in the Air.

So my question is: Does this mean I have that original black harvest edition or does this guy not know what he's talking about?

Again, great album. Like a lot of my music, it will take me a couple of listens to fully understand and appreciate, but I'm sure I will. I've never really listened to progressive rock like this but you people at Head fi are exposing to music I never thought I'd get into.

Oh yeah, I gotta try out this album and synching it with The Wizard of Oz just to see how cool that is.

Mar 27, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 9
The guy did not know what he was talking about. You only have ONE Pink Floyd album? Next on your list should be Animals, Wish you were here, meddle, momentary lapse of reason, delicate sound of thunder(live).

Mar 27, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by marmul
The guy did not know what he was talking about.

I concur. He obviously has been smoking too much of the good stuff .... anyways, I would definitely recommend "Wish You Were Here" as a great album to pick up. Welcome to Pink Floyd.

- Jeff

Mar 27, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Next, I'd say get Wish You Were Here (a better concept album, IMO), Animals (an interesting, rocking concept album), and the Wall (two discs worth of a helluva story.....).

Then branch out - I'm trying to get "Obscured By Clouds" - a Pink Floyd done soundtrack........I think I'll have to go on-line for that, tho
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Oh Yes, Welcome to the machine!

I absolutely concur for Wish You Were Here. Maybe then The Wall. If you found the woman singing strange on DSOTM, you could be much weirded by early albums like Piper at the Gate of Dawn.

Happy listening,
P.

Mar 28, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Wish You Were Here and Animals, then The Wall. Then Meddle, then Atom Heart Mother...

Apr 17, 2002 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 9
HI:
Dark side of the moon is consisderd to be a classic of pink floyd. All of the suggestions that were given are great. I dont know of a bad pink floyd cd. Atom heart mother was there first release. Try ummagumma great cd. I have listened to there stuff up untill I am 60 years old. I guess old age is catching with me for I am turning toward classical now. But I will never forget all the hours that I put in on pink floyd.

Apr 17, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey Lou...You mean Pink Floyd is NOT Classical???

Hmm, see you get a decent rig and you begin to explore! Don't worry though, you will listen to some Jazz, then move to Classical, then (dare I say it) country (Hank Wiliams sr. Patsy Cline etc...) then 60s soul, and eventually you'll be right back where you started.

Isn't this a fum obsession...I mean hobby

Cheers,

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Good morning sir:
Yeh patsy cline I already like. Soft and relaxing. I think she died at her prime. I cant thank you enough for the 580s. I broke them and had them fixed and wow do they sound good. I never had such great sound. I am useing my stereo reciever for power but am waiting for headroom to suop up my supreme. I really like the small size of it and consider it to be portable. I at one time ran around with a pair of grados 325s, a new supreme, and a cd player with about 10-15 cds. Is that a geek or what. I used this stuff for portable use LOL. It is nice hearing from you and hope that you and your fam. are all doing very well. peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back