question about PC speaker satellites
Apr 1, 2004 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DsLFoolisH

100+ Head-Fier
im thinking of picking up some megaworks 550s to replace my current creative FPS2000. i love the FPS, but i want something with more impact now, not loudness, but impact. i heard the z560s at one of my friend's houses, and the bass impact and tone was awesome.

anyway, i currently use a pair of DT880s with a pretty decent setup, and thats great for detailed cds and such, but sometimes i just want to have some ass pounding action from the computer.

my question is, because the 550s are 5.1, would it degrade the sound quality if i placed all the satellites in front of me on the desk? i get this idea that the sound from the satellites will be clashing with each other and become more garbled (because im going to put the sats right next to each other). i have no way of putting them in the rear, as i have n owall to nail them to. right now im using creative's surround station in which you can hang the satellites behind your head, but i dont think the megawork sats are compatible with it.

so will it affect the sound? if it does, ill have to use 2.1, but that'll feel wasteful since i wont be using 3 of the speakers. i really would buy a 2.1 system, but most of the ones that can match the 550 audio quality are all expensive (~$120) and jumping up to a 5.1 setup with equal calibre would be only a relatively low price hike.

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 7
This is exactly what they make 2.1 setups for. Don't buy 5 speakers if your gonna have the 5 speakers in front of you, instead buy a nice pair of 2.1 speakers that will image a lot better than the 5.1 on your desk. Also you may be able to move up the product line if you settle for three speakers. For example logitechs top of the line 2.1 may cost about the same as their mid range 5.1. Or you can do what I do, buy a HSU sub, put it next to your computer (which for me is in the opposite wall from my listening position) and turn it up about 10 dB sitting at your comp when you want to melt your mind.

edit: you mention that descent 2.1 setups are $120, where are you finding megaworks 550s for that price? I think that $200 in a 2.1 setup in front of you would image just as well as 550s if none of them are behind you.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 7
What do you mean by impact?

If you want 2.1s, maybe check out the SonicXS 2.1s. They are very punchy "little" speakers, albeit not so little (literally). I have to admit though, I am kind of turned off by the 6" woofer, but its tight and very controlled so no distortion even very excessive volumes. They definetly shake walls though. If what you want is subsonic bass, you'd probably be better off with some decent bookshelf speakers, an amp, and a decent subwoofer.

I would be very careful when choosing 2.1 spakers, since they can easily be underpowered or lack midrange presence, with undersized sats and oversized woofers. This makes subwoofer localization particular bad too.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by needgoodphones
This is exactly what they make 2.1 setups for. Don't buy 5 speakers if your gonna have the 5 speakers in front of you, instead buy a nice pair of 2.1 speakers that will image a lot better than the 5.1 on your desk. Also you may be able to move up the product line if you settle for three speakers. For example logitechs top of the line 2.1 may cost about the same as their mid range 5.1. Or you can do what I do, buy a HSU sub, put it next to your computer (which for me is in the opposite wall from my listening position) and turn it up about 10 dB sitting at your comp when you want to melt your mind.

edit: you mention that descent 2.1 setups are $120, where are you finding megaworks 550s for that price? I think that $200 in a 2.1 setup in front of you would image just as well as 550s if none of them are behind you.

thanks for the suggestion, ill look into that. the thing about 2.1 vs 5.1 is that a decent 2.1 setup can be found for $120-$150. However, to me, $50 really isnt a big difference when that will actually bump me up to a 5.1 setup.

for example a megaworks 2.1 system runs around $130. howeverm stepping up to the 550 will be a $70 increase, which isnt a lot if you ask me. the 550 will obviously sound better than the 2.1s (power etc.).

what im saying is, paying ~$130 for a 2.1 setup is not worth it- because for a mere $70 more, i can get a 5.1 setup that sounds better. of course, i could be wrong about that.

if i were able to find a 2.1 setup that is the same price or maybe lower than the 550s, but sound significantly better, i would definately get those. the dilema right now is that there doesnt seem to be any 2.1 systems for $200 right now that can topple the 5.1 550s. and if they do, it probably wouldnt be by much.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
What do you mean by impact?

If you want 2.1s, maybe check out the SonicXS 2.1s. They are very punchy "little" speakers, albeit not so little (literally). I have to admit though, I am kind of turned off by the 6" woofer, but its tight and very controlled so no distortion even very excessive volumes. They definetly shake walls though. If what you want is subsonic bass, you'd probably be better off with some decent bookshelf speakers, an amp, and a decent subwoofer.

I would be very careful when choosing 2.1 spakers, since they can easily be underpowered or lack midrange presence, with undersized sats and oversized woofers. This makes subwoofer localization particular bad too.

im not sure exactly how to describe the impact. im sure low frequency strength have a lot to do with it. but not amount. for example, my current speakers dont provide a lot of that oomf. sure i can turn up the bass to a high level, and the bass will get real loud, but it still wont have that punching substance to it. not only the bass however, but on all sonic qualities i guess.

ive heard of the sonic xs, although i was never able to listen to them before. they sure do look like theyd work well. but id have to see some reviews or have some people with experience about them before i would order them. they also seem to be difficult to come by.

i think ive materialized my target. basically i want the best audio quality i can obtain for music/gaming (not as much movies, though it would be nice) whether it be 2.0, 2.1, or 5.1. my budget is probably around $200 (i dont believe PC audio should be worth spending a fortune on), but as always, lower is better.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 7
When thinking about the megaworks, just keep in mind that each satellite retails for about $40-50 a pair, or $20-25 per satellite, so just you're getting what you pay for.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 7
I definitely go with 2.1 system with THX certified. Having more speakers doesn't relate to better sound unless gaming is more important.
When I attended 2004 CES, creative L3500 was pretty good in soundstage and 3 dimensionality considering there were gazillion other speakers blasting in the convention.
You should definitely go audition Altec MX5021 as well. Very balanced and warm in musicality!!!
You should decide which road to go first, based on computer or audio???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back