Question about PayPal payments
Jun 23, 2006 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wowie11

100+ Head-Fier
Can PayPal payments be rescinded by the payer? I am selling an item on E-bay and the buyer doesn't have any feedback. He/she paid almost instantaneously, but now I'm afraid that if I send the item out to him/her he/she might rescind the payment. Am I being paranoid or safe?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 11
No. If payment has completed to you through bank transfer or credit card then it's done. If payment is pending through payment with an e-check then you would want to wait until that clears before sending out the item.

Once payment shows as "complete" it is a done deal.

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
No. If payment has completed to you through bank transfer or credit card then it's done. If payment is pending through payment with an e-check then you would want to wait until that clears before sending out the item.

Once payment shows as "complete" it is a done deal.

Great! That's the answer that I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot!

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 11
And I'm one to burst a bubble:

If the account is stolen, then the money will be retracted when the account is recovered. If you are the seller, you get to go through a few extra steps in this case. As long as it's a physical item, then you should be okay. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

This was a $30 lesson for me. There is little that you can do, but next time I sell something that isn't physical, there will definately be a lower bound on positive feedback
mad.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
And I'm one to burst a bubble:

If the account is stolen, then the money will be retracted when the account is recovered. If you are the seller, you get to go through a few extra steps in this case. As long as it's a physical item, then you should be okay. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

This was a $30 lesson for me. There is little that you can do, but next time I sell something that isn't physical, there will definately be a lower bound on positive feedback
mad.gif

If you take the money and transfer it to a bank account is it safe? Or can it still be retracted?

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 11
As a seller you should only ship to confirmed addresses. If not, Paypal will not provide seller protection. If the item is expensive $200, then only use an online viewable tracking service. If more than $250, use only an online viewable tracking and signature confirmation service.

Now once the funds are transferred into your bank account, Paypal can't touch it. But they can ask you for it back and if you don't comply I suppose they could close your Paypal account, bar you from ever using paypal again, and possible do something to your credit.

The buyer can always do a credit card chargeback, if they aren't happy for pretty much any reason or if they are a swindler.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 11
If the buyer used a credit card to fund the payment, he/she can then file a dispute to get the money back. However, this doesn't take place without prior communications between the credit card company and you - giving you a chance to show tracking info (proving it delivered), etc. If you can in good faith prove that the package was delivered, then the dispute claim is denied and they can't take the money. However, if you didn't use tracking, or the tracking method is indecisive (i.e., USPS - they're still showing as "in transit" a package one of my customers received a month ago), they *may* decide to approve the dispute. In that case they notify you that they are taking the money back from your account and they give it to the buyer.

I'm not sure what happens if you've already moved the dough to your bank account. I know Paypal can't automatically withdraw money from your sources without you initiating the transaction. I suppose they would request you put the money back in so they could reclaim it for the buyer, or else they would post a negative balance to your PP account and you would just whittle away the deficit as new payments were made into that account.

As 909 said, make sure the address is confirmed before shipping; use a very good tracking service (UPS, DHL, Fedex) and make sure to get a signature at the door. Costs more than USPS, but worth it.

Jun 24, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 11
I agree with most, if not all, of what you said. I would like to clarify other possibilities and what a Paypal rep told me a few months ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
If you can in good faith prove that the package was delivered, then the dispute claim is denied and they can't take the money.

If the buyer was only claiming the item didn't arrive this would be the process to proof that it had, in fact, been delivered. Yet if the seller claims, he's not happy with the item for whatever reason he or she can create or think-up then the seller is really powerless to do anything.

Buyer: it doesn't work
Seller: it works, I checked it before I shipped it
Buyer: well, possibly something happened during shipment

Seller has little choice, but to refund the buyer's money or the chargeback goes.

Buyer: this isn't what I ordered
Seller: yes it is....
Buyer: I want my money back...

This creates the same situation. The credit card will stand behind a cardholder even a liar because they only know what he or she tells them. This stuff is pretty impossible to prove.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
I know Paypal can't automatically withdraw money from your sources without you initiating the transaction.

Paypal can do stuff automatically, but whether you realize it or not these things have been agreed to before you submit an action. Some actions are agreed to when you sign up too.

BUT, Paypal cannot automatically withdraw money from your bank without your authorization. So Paypal will get your approval first or you would need to submit the funds to do it.

Jun 25, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the clarification, 909. I haven't had to deal with a dispute since about 2001 so they might have changed some things.

However, I don't understand why anyone would try to initiate a chargeback for an item that arrived broken. Surely you'd just deal directly with the seller? As a seller, if anyone complained to me of an item's being broken (or not being what they wanted), I'd request them to send it back and I'd supply a full refund when it arrived (regardless of whether or not it was really broken). At least if it was broken, my conscience would be clean, and if it really was not broken, the only thing I'd be out is the shipping charge, and the item would once again be available for sale (hopefully to a more honest/reputable buyer).

Trying to do a chargeback for a broken item without trying to work it out with the seller first seems really suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back