Question about Opeth's "Damnation"
Dec 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mwallace573

1000+ Head-Fier
I was just listening to this album, and I noticed that on the song "Closure", the song just abruptly stops in mid note and moves on to the next song, kind of like how Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under" ends, and it doesn't sound quite right. The song length I have is 5:16. Is this how the song is supposed to go or do I have a bad CD?

Also, is it just me or does the second track "In My Time of Need" sound horrible in comparison to the rest of the album?

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 12
5:16 is how long it is

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Some of the music in the album is deliberately distorted as well. I'll also bet that some isn't.

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5:16 is how long it is

Ok then. It's just weird how the song ends the way it does. They didn't even make an attempt to make the two songs flow together. Thanks for confirming the track time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the music in the album is deliberately distorted as well. I'll also bet that some isn't.

Some albums, such as Aenima, do that well, but the second track of Damnation just sounds horrible, especially compared to the songs later in the album.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Wasn't Steve Wilson in charge of the sound on this one? If so, that would explain a lot of what you are hearing. He is a genius, and he loves to play with knobs, so if that is your cup of tea, you will love the sound (I do). As far as any sound quality inconsistencies, could be two things:
1. Steve Wilson, nuff said. Intentional not accidental.
2. Songs were mixed not all in one shot or had different settings? I doubt that though.

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't Steve Wilson in charge of the sound on this one? If so, that would explain a lot of what you are hearing. He is a genius, and he loves to play with knobs, so if that is your cup of tea, you will love the sound (I do). As far as any sound quality inconsistencies, could be two things:
1. Steve Wilson, nuff said. Intentional not accidental.
2. Songs were mixed not all in one shot or had different settings? I doubt that though.

Yes that is what you hear...........the King Crimson mellotron sounds floating in background and the distant distorted vocals that sound like old fashioned gramaphone, very retro and reflects input by Steve Wilson/Porcupine Tree

Too bad damnation doesn't sound more like Porcupine Tree's "in absentia" made around same time, it is really much closer to Opeth's style than "damnation"

The song "closure" doesn't stop cold at 5:16 on my copy of damnation, just quickly blends/fades into next track

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The song "closure" doesn't stop cold at 5:16 on my copy of damnation, just quickly blends/fades into next track

Eh? What version do you have?

Dec 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Eh? What version do you have?

Digipak on "music for nations" label, cdmfnx 294.

I purchased both Deliverance/Damnation upon initial release at The End

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Digipak on "music for nations" label, cdmfnx 294.

I purchased both Deliverance/Damnation upon initial release at The End

Hmmm, I have a jewel case version from Koch. KOC-CD-8652. Looks like someone messed up, I don't know. I thought I remembered reading Mikael saying that the abrupt ending was intentional, but maybe I was imagining it...

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Hmmm, I have a jewel case version from Koch. KOC-CD-8652. Looks like someone messed up, I don't know. I thought I remembered reading Mikael saying that the abrupt ending was intentional, but maybe I was imagining it...

The fast fade/blend doesn't last long, @2 seconds.......but it isn't a dead stop

Today because of this thread a cued up Opeth's debut Orchid.......OMG just like the old days discovering great new stuff, been long time since I last played it. The long closing track "apostle in triumph" is just a masterwork of progressive dark metal and entire album is so great, I find it superior in every way to newest Opeth Ghost album including vocal delivery (death vox were far better back then).......Akerfeldt would no doubt have another opinion
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Today because of this thread a cued up Opeth's debut Orchid.......OMG just like the old days discovering great new stuff, been long time since I last played it. The long closing track "apostle in triumph" is just a masterwork of progressive dark metal and entire album is so great, I find it superior in every way to newest Opeth Ghost album including vocal delivery (death vox were far better back then).......Akerfeldt would no doubt have another opinion
rolleyes.gif

Apostle In Triumph is my favorite on that album. Great song. That album had a much different feel to it than GR.

Speaking of newer era Opeth, Mike says that on the new album, there will be a church organ on it. Now this can either be awesome... or terrible, but there is a very funny (IMO) story associated with this. Per was allowed to play on some organ in a Swedish church, and he ended up breaking the damn thing. Now they have to pay the repair bill. It may be just me, but the visual I keep getting in my head just cracks me up every time I think of it.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 12
I was just listening to this album, and I noticed that on the song "Closure", the song just abruptly stops in mid note and moves on to the next song, kind of like how Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under" ends, and it doesn't sound quite right. The song length I have is 5:16. Is this how the song is supposed to go or do I have a bad CD?

Also, is it just me or does the second track "In My Time of Need" sound horrible in comparison to the rest of the album?
I was just at an Opeth gig and I don't remember which song they were talking about but it got sliced in half to fit a radiostation requirement. This might be it. They told Opeth that their song was way too long for radio (like 12min) and they should make a shorter version to which Opeth replied that they don't make short songs and they ended up just slicing the song half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back