Question about NOS tubes...
Feb 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Amarok

100+ Head-Fier
How the heck do you open the NOS boxes with out tearing off the
delicate, aged, *&@^@*&(#_-king flaps?!?!??
confused.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif

?A?

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif

?A?

Use a knife or even a penny as a tool. Slide the tool all the way under the flap .... and then gently lift the flap. You can slide the knife underneath or pry at the front of the flap. Just apply steady pressure and go easy and the flap will lift to where you can get it open with your fingers.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
mad.gif

?A?

I break them most of the times. I usually reinforce or repair the flap with masking tape.

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I break them most of the times. I usually reinforce or repair the flap with masking tape.

Yeah, me too. It's hard to be patient when you get a new NOS tube and want to pop it into your amp.

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 8
SACD has a good idea. I also find myself ready to bias new tubes with my meter: a skinny, pointed probe tip can do the same as the knife blade. Those boxes are frustrating. It doesn't help that many of them are falling apart already. Thank goodness the tubes held up better than that!

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, me too. It's hard to be patient when you get a new NOS tube and want to pop it into your amp.

Me, three!
And how could those tube box manufacturers not realize that their products
would be holding treasures 60 years hence?
They should've built them to last!
rolleyes.gif

SC

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I use a butter knive. If it does get ripped I use tape on the inside not outside as I like to preserve the box. I have some boxes from the late 1920's and if you think later boxes are fragile try these. The acid paper used is the real problem. I have a set of black glass 6SN7's from that 1940's that are in off white boxes with beutiful blue embossed printing for the Navy. These boxes are made of a non acid paper and hold up fantastically but there are few I have found like this. These boxes still look brand new.

Anyway, a smooth edged knife works well.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 8
I just rip the top of the whole box off with my teeth! Then I toss those old smelly Tung-sol or Cunningham boxes in the toilet and flush!
Just kidding. I use a butter knife the first couple of times and then when I forget, I tape the inside with masking tape and trim it with a razor knife. I "try" to make a habit of opening the box from the bottom where there usually isn't any info printed on the flap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back