Question about my new headphones
Apr 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

derek800

500+ Head-Fier
I just purchase my first pair of decent headphones, they are the Senn HD 212. My first question is has anyone had experience with burning these in or is it needed? I've read the burn in faq post, but I want to know anyones personal experience with these and how long it took for them to settle into their sound. One thing I have noticed is when playing certain songs on my ipod I hear a little bit of static the louder it is turned up. This is usually only with slower songs without a lot of bass, so my question I guess is, is this just poor quality mp3's or is this something to do with the headphones. Sorry if something like this has already been asked, but I'm new to this.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 10
It will probably sound somewhat better after burned in a bit. Don't expect too much from these headphones as they are lower end. Second, try listening to the same songs in FLAC format and see if you still get static.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I think these sound pretty good for the type of music that I listen to. I know that they will not be perfect for the price but I really like the amount of bass for listening to rock. My main question is, is this static most likely due to a poor quality recording? It's not a heavy static and its usually only noticable when the volume is turned way up and at the beginning of the song before bass kicks in and you cant hear it anymore.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah I'm guessing its the mp3's, it only seems to be certain one's that start playing lower than the other songs causing me to turn it way up. I don't hear the static between tracks or when it is paused. I just took all of my cd's and imported them to itunes and then to my ipod.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm guessing its the mp3's, it only seems to be certain one's that start playing lower than the other songs causing me to turn it way up. I don't hear the static between tracks or when it is paused. I just took all of my cd's and imported them to itunes and then to my ipod.

The iPod EQ has been known to cause distortion. If you normally listen with the EQ on with ipod buds, you might not hear the distortion, but the sennheiser's might be resolving enough so that you can hear it. Check to make sure your EQ is turned off.

Or it could be something else.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I don't know a lot about lossless files, although I have read on here in some of the forums about Flac. Would I have to have the original cd's to convert to lossless or would I be able to convert them from the format they are currently (mp3 and aac). Also is there any lossless format that will play on an ipod?

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 10
First, it is the quality of the music that is making the crackling. As far as converting from your current format to lossless, that won't be possible, you'll have to rerip it into lossless. If you don't want lossless, go for 320 VBR, this is the next best in this case. FLAC is a lossless format that plays on some pmp, but not on ipod. Ipod has its own lossless format, Apple lossless. Any lossless format is of the same quality AFAIK. You don't necessarily have to have the CD to get music in lossless, you can also download lots of music in lossless format through torrents. If you can't find it in a torrent you will have to rip it yourself and will need the CD for that.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 10
I think you should take a step back here. The quality of your mp3s isn't necessarily the problem here, although it could be.

What type of ipod do you have? What bitrate and format did you import your cds to in iTunes?

Do you hear the crackling sounds when you play the same track from your computer with the HD212s plugged into it? If so, it might be the quality of the sound files, or it could be the headphones themselves. Try the headphones plugged into as many different sources as you can. If they sound fine everywhere else except plugged into the iPod, then there is probably an issue between the iPod and the headphones. It could be EQ settings, or it could be something else.

Early generation iPods often produce audible hiss with certain headphones. This would be especially noticeable between tracks or during quiet portions of the music you are listening to. If this is the case you might simply have to look for a pair of headphones that is a better match for your source.

You could also try re-importing the songs with different bit rates through iTunes, or other tools to see if there is a difference. One thing to keep in mind is that as the bit rate goes up, the amount of storage space needed for your files goes up as well. Lossless file formats typically are compressed 50%-60% of the size of the original file, which means that you will need 250-400 Megabytes of space on your iPod to store one CD.

Lossy files such as mp3 files can be compressed much more, so that one CD only takes up 50-60 MB. The trade off, is that the sound quality can be lower than it would be with lossless files.

Depending on your ears and the quality of your electronics, you might not even be able to tell the difference at or above certain bit rates. Jumping directly to lossless files may be a huge waste of disk space and time for you, if you could be satisfied with a high bit rate mp3 file. This is especially true if you are only using the files for portable music listening.

In my opinion, and based on what I hear, there shouldn't be a need for lossless files on an iPod with Sennheiser HD212s. I've encoded thousands of songs, and experimented with various bit rates and compression formats. Even at extremely low bit rates, I've never heard static or crackling added by the encoding process. At low bit rates I hear sound that is flat (no loud and soft parts) and congested (not easy to pick out various instruments, or parts). I also hear compression artifacts at low bitrates, such as cymbals sounding squishy or spitty, or such as other instruments sounding unnatural. Crackling is usually caused by something other than bit rate. So going down the path of super high bit rate, or lossless is probably not going to solve this for you.

You really need to troubleshoot this, and try to isolate the problem. If you want to try higher bit rate music, feel free to do so, but do it in a controlled manner. Test a few tracks at a time. There is no need to re-rip or re-acquire your entire collection just yet.

Hope this helps!
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back