Question about music quality
Nov 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #46 of 48

I recommend you also do an ABX test between files if you can, and post results. Unless this was an upgrade from something like a noisy motherboard, there's not really any reason the amp would be revealing compression artifacts you couldn't hear before.

I didn't necessarily mean it revealed compression artifacts, just that the quality with higher bitrates sounds clearer to me. And that could just be my imagination but I doubt that as the difference can't be explained as subtle in some cases. I wouldn't say different sounds are revealed with higher bitrates using the amp which cannot be heard without the amp, the differences just become more obvious and more pronounced. As if the lower bitrates are muffled, but again I don't know using what codecs these files have been compressed.

Hope I explained myself clearly, if not my apologies and please ask me. English is not my mother tongue
blink.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #47 of 48
  What would you guys suggest as the most straightforward way for me to compare various codecs at different bit-rates?
Currently, 99% of my music library is ALAC running itunes on windows.
Thanks!

You can use foobar2000's ABX Comparator to conduct and document ABX tests. I use dBpoweramp to convert files to other formats (as well as rip CDs, edit ID tags and artwork, etc.), but foobar2000 can do this as well.

but again I don't know using what codecs these files have been compressed.

First rule of comparing between formats: always convert the files from the largest file. (Such as converting a lossless file to lossy.) Otherwise, you are not isolating the variables and could just as well be listening to two different masters of the recording.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #48 of 48

You can use foobar2000's ABX Comparator to conduct and document ABX tests. I use dBpoweramp to convert files to other formats (as well as rip CDs, edit ID tags and artwork, etc.), but foobar2000 can do this as well.

First rule of comparing between formats: always convert the files from the largest file. (Such as converting a lossless file to lossy.) Otherwise, you are not isolating the variables and could just as well be listening to two different masters of the recording.

Thanks I will take a look at foobar then. I'm mostly keen to see just how much better my missus hearing is compared to mine, she seems to be able to point to things I can't hear in an instant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back