Question about multi-tools
Jul 6, 2008 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jewman

100+ Head-Fier
Good evening my fellow head-fiers!

I have a question regarding multi-tools. I am going to be a senior in high school next year. I would also like to purchase a keychain or possibly a pocket multi-tool. However, I don't want to get caught with it at school and get suspended because the administrators see there's a knife on it. So what should I do? Should I just wait until next year, when I go to college, or are colleges strict about this too? Should I just get one and and dull the blade down into a flat-head screwdriver?

Also, how would I go about getting it through airport security?

If anybody had any ideas, that would be very helpful!

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good evening my fellow head-fiers!

I have a question regarding multi-tools. I am going to be a senior in high school next year. I would also like to purchase a keychain or possibly a pocket multi-tool. However, I don't want to get caught with it at school and get suspended because the administrators see there's a knife on it. So what should I do? Should I just wait until next year, when I go to college, or are colleges strict about this too? Should I just get one and and dull the blade down into a flat-head screwdriver?

Also, how would I go about getting it through airport security?

If anybody had any ideas, that would be very helpful!

With the zero-weapons policy in effect in most school districts, wherein even PLASTIC knives and BUTTER knives are considered deadly WMD's when on school grounds... (Go find some news reports on CNN/ABC/NBC archives, I'm not kidding you.)

Really, really really highly recommend to NOT bring it to school. Some colleges are pretty strict about this as well, but if you keep it in your bag 95% of the time it'll be ok. But still really recommend to leave it at home.

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 11
Roastpuff hit the nail on the head. Do not bring it to school. College it really doesn't matter as long as you odnt pull it on someone but high school is completely different.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the helpful replies. So I guess the consensus is that multi-tools are good to have but should only be brought to locations other than schools. That being said, can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, small, multi-tool?

EDIT:

Would this tool suffice? It's a knifeless multi-tool from leatherman. I guess it would be school-safe, right?

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for the helpful replies. So I guess the consensus is that multi-tools are good to have but should only be brought to locations other than schools. That being said, can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, small, multi-tool?

EDIT:

Would this tool suffice? It's a knifeless multi-tool from leatherman. I guess it would be school-safe, right?

I doubt it would still be considered school-safe... and taking the knife out of the Leatherman takes out 50% of the utility. I could live with a knife and a pocket screwdriver that has a Phillips and a flathead on either side.

A knife is honestly the most useful tool.

EDIT: Oh, and I just realized it has a pair of scissors. If they're not plastic-coated and safety-tipped, that's still a no-no.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 11
I like the SwissTech Utili-Key for around $10.
I've accidentally left it on my keyring through TSA checkpoints a few times without problems.

The Utili-Key has screwdrivers, a blade that's great for opening packages from amazon.com, and a bottle opener.

Key Ring Mini-Tool: Utili-Key 6-in-1 - Swiss+Tech

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 11
So should I just get the Utili-key or go ahead and get a pocket multi-tool that I just won't bring to school?

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

EDIT:

A kid at my school got suspended for 10 days for borrowing scissors from a teacher and bringing them to lunch to finish a project. Because he wasn't in the room that he borrowed them, it was considered a weapon and was suspended.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

So should I just get the Utili-key or go ahead and get a pocket multi-tool that I just won't bring to school?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat1006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A kid at my school got suspended for 10 days for borrowing scissors from a teacher and bringing them to lunch to finish a project. Because he wasn't in the room that he borrowed them, it was considered a weapon and was suspended.

TSA checkpoints are not as idiotic as some school district regulators, though they can be at points. Just get a normal multi-tool (Leathermans are my preference) and use it outside of school. Don't even think about bringing such a thing to school - I brought Guns & Ammo to read once and got chastised for it while some people were flipping through Sport Compact a few tables away.

It's a magazine, for crying out loud, and one that doesn't have scantily-clad women prancing around pretending to be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back