Question about minidisc & .wav
Feb 26, 2005 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
Have had all kinds of mp3 players over the past year, from h120, 2 ipods, an ipod mini, zen micro, & a few others. Looking into lossless codecs & cds. Took a look at the Sony D-NE20, and it's a nice player, but would still like to have something in my pocket.

Hi-MD, even MD in general.... I found codec called wavpack, which makes lossless .wav files that says it's compatible with most .wav playing players/programs. Compression looks to be about as good as anyother of the lossless codecs. Do minidiscs support direct drag & drop of .wav files? I know the current generation transcode mp3 & wma files you attempt to put on a MD to atrac, but thought they might play the .wav format by default.

So, if Hi-MD support putting .wav files right on the minidisc & playing, I could put ~3 CDs onto a Hi-MD in lossless format, saving a great deal of space in media versus a pcdp, as well as the player being smaller as well.

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 9
no... you could if i'm not mistaken store the files on the MDs but the player only plays back ATRAC

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 9
So, I should be able to rip a CD with wavpack (shrinking it down to ~300-350mb from 650mb), and put those .wav files directly on a Hi-MD without having it re-encode them to atrac or "cd" audio? If so, should be able to fit 2-3 CDs in CD quality per MD.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
So, I should be able to rip a CD with wavpack (shrinking it down to ~300-350mb from 650mb), and put those .wav files directly on a Hi-MD without having it re-encode them to atrac or "cd" audio? If so, should be able to fit 2-3 CDs in CD quality per MD.

Nope... looking at the wavpack page, it looks like it's more or less just zip compression on top of wav. So that means that encoding .wav files with wavpack will result in a lossless, smaller zipped file which is NOT a .wav file and will therefore not be playable by a .wav codec.

The only way this would work is if your Hi-MD supports wavpack file playback.

Feb 26, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1980
For HiMD, SimpleBurner supports PCM files when importing from cd.

but you forgot about the important part... it converts them to ATRAC before sending to the MD player

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
but you forgot about the important part... it converts them to ATRAC before sending to the MD player

no no he is right, Hi-MDs do play PCM natively. Either that or im imagining what I'm listening to right now....

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp

No, when you select the pcm option, there is no conversion involved. It plays PCM natively. You need a fresh build of both SonicStage and Simpleburner to enable that.
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back