Question about MAD Ear+ HD
Dec 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cpetrillo

100+ Head-Fier
I have a stock Ear+ HD that was purchased already assembled from Mapletree Audio. On the back are two sets of inputs labeled "input 1" and "input 2" but no input selector switch. I had read somewhere and always just assumed that you could hook up two sources and the amp would play which ever was turned on. It appears this is not the case. No matter which input my CD player is connected to it "deactivates the other input wether the CD player is turned on or off. If I connect the CD player to input 1 and my tuner to input two I can't get the tuner to play through the amp unless I disconnect the CD player from the inputs. I emailed Dr. Peppard at Mapletree and he verified that in the stock Ear+ HD the two inputs are not intended to hook up two sources to but I didn't understand his very brief explanation of what they "are" for. Can anyone explain to me why there are two sets of inputs on the back of this amp and what they are intended to be used for if not to hook up two sources? Dr. Peppard said it was covered in the manual but I can't seem to find my manual.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Sometimes you will get lucky and have 2 sources that don't mind being shorted together but more often then not you wont.  I have had 2 inputs for long periods that played well together and I  just turned on whatever one I wanted.  But most of the time you get what you are talking about.  But realize the 2 inputs are shorted together so they are not different.  What you actually have is 1 input, one line out and 1 pre out and it works very well when used like that.  I think it's even in the manual like that.  But even if you dont use both the pre and line out, you still have a choice which is surprisingly rare in head amps.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 8
I wish my Apex Peak had a line out.

but anyway, I've been thinking about asking him to build me a LR1  line router customized to look like the MAD amp.  I imagine they would look pretty sharp stacked on top of each other.  This would give you 4 switched inputs and maybe 2 switched outputs (so you could connect any of 4 sources to either of 2 amps) and do what you want.  I 've seen quite a few posts looking for something like that so I'm surprised he doesn't already do it.  Note that with the super, a switched preamp capability is only a $50 option.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I wish my Apex Peak had a line out.

but anyway, I've been thinking about asking him to build me a LR1  line router customized to look like the MAD amp.  I imagine they would look pretty sharp stacked on top of each other.  This would give you 4 switched inputs and maybe 2 switched outputs (so you could connect any of 4 sources to either of 2 amps) and do what you want.  I 've seen quite a few posts looking for something like that so I'm surprised he doesn't already do it.  Note that with the super, a switched preamp capability is only a $50 option.

I had also considered this option but being short on cash I decided to sell. I was also curious to try other amps. I already miss my Ear+ and may end up going back to one in the future. I have purchased an upgraded Opera Consonance Cyber 30. The original owner  replaced the capacitors in the audio path with Mundorf Supreme and the resistors with Riken along with a few other changes. This is a 3 watt per channel, transformer coupled, SET integrated amp based on the 2A3 tube. Results have been very good so far but there is a slight hum, "almost" all of which can be adjusted out with the hum pots. When properly adjusted I really have to listen hard with no music playing to detect the hum at all. The plus is I can use this as a speaker amp with highly efficient loudspeakers.

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 8
I also had questions around this while mine was in que being built. Lloyd did reply that the multiple inputs were to make patching into a system easier but that having two inputs connected at the same time would not work well if at all...the good news is that he offered to customize mine with a toggle switch between them that would allow me to select the source. So I have multiple digital inputs to my DAC and from there to input 1 on my Ear+ then my phono pre to input 2 my line out then goes to my preamp for when I want to listen to speakers. I will be switching this to my Schiit Lyr and this will allow my setup to be optimized for my RS1i (Ear+) or HE-500 (Lyr) and since Lyr also functions as active preamp I can use it with my mono blocks for speaker set up. 
sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back