Question about M Audio Transit USB
Dec 12, 2004 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
So I finally placed an order for the Transit USB. Now one thing that I'm confused about:

The card has an output called the "headphone/line-out". That's very confusing. Which is it? A headphone out or a line-out? In other words, does it already have a built in headphone amp (regardless of quality; I just want to know if one is there) or not? Thanks for the help. I'm hoping it's just a line-out.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
So I finally placed an order for the Transit USB. Now one thing that I'm confused about:

The card has an output called the "headphone/line-out". That's very confusing. Which is it? A headphone out or a line-out? In other words, does it already have a built in headphone amp (regardless of quality; I just want to know if one is there) or not? Thanks for the help. I'm hoping it's just a line-out.

It has a OP-amp output that provides line level signal and is also able to provide some current to drive headphones. There is no volume control, so your computer software has to take care of that. The headphone output is of decent quality, performing quite admirably with Sennheiser px100 (wickedly good headphone for its price). Even the hard-to-drive AKG k501 be used on it as well, although bass becomes kind of weak. I actually feel that the limitations of Transit USB is more apparent when I use it as line out than using it to drive headphones. Anyway USB Transit's performace is slightly short of hi-end but still quite good in real-world terms, IMHO.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 11
thanks for the clarification.

Dec 13, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi there.

I just got a transit and in the m-audio control panel for the transit it has an operating mode option which has a few selections:
2 in 2 out 16bit 8000Hz to 48000Hz
2 in 2 out 24bit 8000Hz to 48000Hz
2 in 0 out 24bit 88200Hz to 96000Hz
0 in 2 out 24bit 88200Hz to 96000Hz
DD/DTS passthrough

What do all those mean and which one should i select? I am running lineout to my speakers.

Cheers.
Kenn.

Dec 13, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Hi there.

I just got a transit and in the m-audio control panel for the transit it has an operating mode option which has a few selections:
2 in 2 out 16bit 8000Hz to 48000Hz
2 in 2 out 24bit 8000Hz to 48000Hz
2 in 0 out 24bit 88200Hz to 96000Hz
0 in 2 out 24bit 88200Hz to 96000Hz
DD/DTS passthrough

What do all those mean and which one should i select? I am running lineout to my speakers.

Cheers.
Kenn.

second option is usually okay to use.

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

second option is usually okay to use.

Hi there.

Thats what i use
smily_headphones1.gif
By the way do you use foobar or winamp 5? I use winamp 5 with the MAD plugin running in 24bit mode and using the winamp 5 asio plugin(DLL). Any ideas if foobar will sound better or pretty much the same?

Cheers.
Kenn.

Dec 13, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 11
They'll sound the same. As foobar's creators put it, the differences between individual audio players is "below the audible noise floor" or something to that effect.

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

They'll sound the same. As foobar's creators put it, the differences between individual audio players is "below the audible noise floor" or something to that effect.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah i will stick to winamp5. By the way have you got your transit yet? Have you compared it to any other soundcards? if yes how does it compare
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers.
Kenn.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah i will stick to winamp5. By the way have you got your transit yet? Have you compared it to any other soundcards? if yes how does it compare
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers.
Kenn.

I currently have an order placed for Transit USB and ESI Waveterminal U24 USB. Both will take some time to get to my home due to some complications (a week or so). At home I have a Philips Aurilium USB and Turtle Beach SantaCruz. I am considering doing a review of the headphone-outs of each of these cards. We will see when I get all of the cards.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 11
Hi there.

Yeah it would be interesting when you can compare all 4 of those sound devices
smily_headphones1.gif
By the way there is a setting in the m-audio control panel for latency, its on medium, should i set it to very low or very high or just leave it on medium? Or it don't matter.

Cheers.
Kenn.

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I currently have an order placed for Transit USB and ESI Waveterminal U24 USB. Both will take some time to get to my home due to some complications (a week or so). At home I have a Philips Aurilium USB and Turtle Beach SantaCruz. I am considering doing a review of the headphone-outs of each of these cards. We will see when I get all of the cards.

Prod
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back