Question about Little Dot's Tube Headphone amps
Jun 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sam21

1000+ Head-Fier
consider the following headphones :

DT990(32 ohm) , HD598, A700x, SR225i, K702, HE400

Which Little Dot's tube amp do you recommend for these headphones ? I want to experience the tube sound...

At first I though that I should go with the I+ hybrid amp, then I read somewhere that the MKII and the MKIII can drive lower impedance headphones with no problem...

so I am kinda stuck here...Which amp do you recommend out of I+ , MKII , MKIII for the above headphones ? which one has the better tube rolling options ? which one gives me the "tube" feeling ? 

appreciated.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Which Little Dot's tube amp do you recommend for these headphones ? I want to experience the tube sound...
At first I though that I should go with the I+ hybrid amp, then I read somewhere that the MKII and the MKIII can drive lower impedance headphones with no problem...
so I am kinda stuck here...Which amp do you recommend out of I+ , MKII , MKIII for the above headphones ? which one has the better tube rolling options ? which one gives me the "tube" feeling ? 
appreciated.

I would think the ATH-A700X and SR225i are better driven by solid state headphone amplifiers with a very low output impedance.
But I guess with well designed tube amplifier they would do alright.

Where as the DT990, HD598, K702. HE-400 might be headphones you would drive the Little Dot MKIII with.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Why do you want a Little Dot in particular? 

I used to own a MKIII. It worked well with my DT990 250 ohm and my Q701. It worked OK with the HE-400, but it did distort at high volumes maybe 5% of the time. It was fine at volumes I would want to listen to for more than a few minutes. 

AFAIK, the 1+, MKII and MKIII all use the same tubes so you have the exact same tube rolling options. I could be wrong though. 

I'd also suggest considering Garage1217 and Lafigaro for tube amps. I just got a Garage1217 Project Ember. It is a step above the MKIII in the clarity department IMO, and it only has 1 tube which makes tube rolling cheaper. The MKIII did have more of a thick tubey sound though. I didn't like it paired with the HE-400--not tight enough in the bass. But that's just preference. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 4

appreciated.

I recently bought the Mk2 primarily to use with my 32ohm K550 and though this is my first tube amp I can honestly say it sounds fantastic with these headphones.  The current models have variable gain and with the gain on medium it drives them brilliantly - I never have to go more than half way on the volume.  The sound is mellow and quite laid back and with this in mind I think it would be better suited to brighter cans. It tames the treble spike of the K550 very well though I felt the HD600 with it was just a bit too warm a sound for me.

I did think about getting the I+ but felt I wanted to go full on into tubes and if I had got the I+ I would have wondered what I was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back