Question about Line Out on iPod Classic w/W3
Feb 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

discombobulation

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, pretty noob question but...
I have a pair of W3s along with a 160gb ipod classic, but definitely can't afford to buy an amp at the moment.
My question is whether I can buy this
2d00_1.JPG

and use it directly without an amp. I have a volume attenuator that came with the W3s, so that would be my volume control after the line out. Will this setup offer any improvement on sound quality?

Alternatively, is there any dock add-on that will enable me to apply a custom EQ?

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 14
makes no sense because the hp-out is nearly as clean as its lineout.
furthermore, no custom eq but there is a workaround. start searching for "ipod custom eq" on head-fi
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 14
If that's a line out no you shouldn't use it, you'll get distortion. You may also damage your IEMS's since it may be at 100% with tons of distortion. It'll sound worse

Use onboard headphone socket until you use line out with headphone amp.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's a line out no you shouldn't use it, you'll get distortion. You may also damage your IEMS's since it may be at 100% with tons of distortion. It'll sound worse

Use onboard headphone socket until you use line out with headphone amp.

he said he'd use the volume attenuator that came with the W3s...

and why would it cause distortion?

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 14
it wont cause distortion, but I dont see you making any gains in SQ. the W3 are pretty sensitive, and only benefits you get from amping with them is a bit more power to give the drivers some more control. But since you wont be gaining any power you wont get that benefit. the classic line-out isnt much cleaner than the HP out; its the dac that holds the classic back IMO. also volume attenuators dirty the signal if they are not very high quality. that one that comes with the W3 is OK, but its also not that great, so what gains you get from using LO, you will lose by effecting the signal with the attenuator. I see this guy on here posting all the time that he does this and reckons its great; but i've used the attenuator and its not great. I just think he hasnt used an amp I wouldnt do it if I were you. but I suppiose it wouldnt cost too much to try

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he said he'd use the volume attenuator that came with the W3s...

and why would it cause distortion?

Line out is not designed to drive heaphones, although it may drive IEM's as they're far more efficient maybe 10-20dB more. I connected my RS-1 to the variable line out oops lots of distortion.

Also how much attenuation does it provide? Need to work out if it'll still blast out at loud levels. Also how do you control volume? If say that attenuator makes it really low - or above your normal listening level- you can't make it "just right" as line level is fixed (unless ipod line out is like my iriver, variable?)

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 14
I use the exact same combo but with an iPhone (1G). Basically I am using the following:

iPhone (1G) > LOD pictured above > W3 volume control > W3

There is a huge difference between the iPhone's headphone out and line out. This configuration has significantly improved the sound quality and is very portable. Although I am not sure of the difference between headphone out and line out on an iPod Classic (6G).

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by smit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I .......... Although I am not sure of the difference between headphone out and line out on an iPod Classic (6G).

not much. really. the iphone 1G was notorious for having a really crappy and noisy HP out

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 14
Good choice, that's what I am doing right now with all my portable source gear. Use it with your volume attenuator and you'll be happy. Well with regards to SQ, many people don't agree because they have never done it. Clean signal (No hiss at all) with much information in the layers and distinct instrument separation and in particular if you are using W3 (Nice IEMs) then it's a great match. Your purchase won't be wasted because in future if you go for an amp, you could just buy a mini to mini 6 inch or so.

Let us know your impressions by the way.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plug in some cheap cheap earphones first.

Nothing will happen if you're using an inline attenuator. I use my E500s and HFI-780s like that.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 14
Bumping this.

Bought the LOD in the original post, and I have to say that there is a DEFINITE DIFFERENCE.
Instrument separation and clarity is definitely much better, even my non-audiophile parents could tell.
The only downside is the loss of EQ-ing. Fortunately I'm really happy with the W3 natural signature, so this is great for me.
I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a little bit of an improvement at little cost. There is no way I can afford an amp, let alone be bothered to develop jeans the size of tanks to hold all the gear - this is a great trade-off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back