Question about Leben amps
Aug 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 9
If bought through an official dealer they are configured for your local voltage.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks A, for quick response. (not big on running step-up/down transformers)

JimP, are you looking at the one from mingo's?

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Not Mingo, I ended up purchasing from Michael Audio (authorized dealer). I'll post some comments after this settles in a bit. I got it primarily to mate with the Harbeth P3ES2 (great!) but the headphone out (single-ended) of this thing is turning out to be pretty amazing. Amp is full function integrated, even has legitimate bass boost control (very handy!). Check out my DIY vibration control footers (squash balls in silicone rubber cups)... The 840c feeds Leben RCA out and simultaneously feeds a LDVI balanced amp via XLR (off to side, not in picture). Very happy with this set up, and the LDVI for balanced amusement.
leben2.jpg

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it primarily to mate with the Harbeth P3ES2 (great!) but the headphone out (single-ended) of this thing is turning out to be pretty amazing. [/IMG]

I'm having a serious lust-on for the Leben and as someone who has the Leben and a decent dedicated headamp, I would be most interested in hearing your impressions of how the Leben itself stacks up as a headamp.

I'd also be interested in hearing how you would rate the synergy with the 840c.

In reviews, the Leben is often said to be a little bright on the top end and should be matched with slightly warm sources.
The 840c has a reputation for being a little bright and clinical.
How do you find they mate?

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I got the Leben for the Harbeths - in my small den, the result is nothing short of amazing, but that's an apples-to-oranges comparison of headphone systems to a speaker system. I had always planned to keep a separate headamp (had settled on Earmax AE) but once I heard the headphone out on the Lebens, the EMAE was booted out the door. I do not find the combo 840c/Leben too bright (stock tubes, Kimber SS ICs) - even with DT880s. (now DAC1 was bright for my taste, and that also got the boot). I'm not so good at describing sound, but a crude summary of what I'm getting is a blend of what I liked about my (previous) L3000 and K1000 systems (especially with HD650/HD580 - I know it's cliche but these guys scale!). The only negative with the Leben is that it runs hot. And I don't know how the Leben fares with low impedance phones. As a side excursion to balanced, I also have a LDVI (which is great! and I'll post further comments on the LDVI thread), but the balanced dedicated LDVI doesn't really improve on Leben SE headphone out (that's a compliment to the LDVI). Leben is not cheap, but if you run speakers and also need to run (uncompromised) headphone out as well, then holistically it's quite cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back