Question about Klipsch Promedia
Jan 21, 2004 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
This may be a stupid question, but is it the satellites that make them so bright, or is the amplifier in the woofer?

Everyone seems to praise the Klipsch sub but a common complaint is that they're too bright (and I agree).

Would replacing the satellites change this? Or would that be no dice because you'd have no hardware volume control?

Jan 21, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Too bright? Which version of the ProMedia's are you talking about?

I have the older 2.1 ProMedias. I'm not sure it would be easy to replace the satellites. The volume control is built into the right speaker. I guess with the 5.1 models, the volume control and I/O is in a separate pod.

I don't find mine to be bright at all. In fact, they're kinda tame for my tastes. Bass is nice and powerful for a computer speaker. But quite loose and boomy nonetheless.

What are you using as a source? What sound card are you using. The brightness has more to do the satellite speakers themselves than anything, anyways.

-Ed

Jan 21, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 6
I demoed them at the local CompUSA. Don't know what sound card was the source however. But when compared with the Logitech Z-2200's there, the Klipsches felt bright and a tad bit harsh.

I've been wondering whether the Klipsches are worth the $50 extra compared to similar offerings from Logitech, Creative/Cambridge, and Altec Lansing.

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by insomniac
I
I've been wondering whether the Klipsches are worth the $50 extra compared to similar offerings from Logitech, Creative/Cambridge, and Altec Lansing.

It is all personal taste. I will say that comp-usa is the worst place of all time to demo speakers. I recommend bringing in a good portable CD-player and testing all the speakers off that. As far as I know the logitechs don't even have a tweeter. I know my friend has the Z-560s, and I find them to be horribly rolled off. So compared to logitechs, the promedias probably sound faily bright. I say just let your ears decide if they are worth the extra $50.

Jan 21, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 6
I've got some promedia 4.1s and if I cared enough about 'em to, the upgrade I would go about would be replacing the crappy zip line with quasi descent speaker cable.

I bet that would restore some sort of sense of balance...

BTW--it's mostly mainstream video game reviewers that praise the subwoofer. The x-over is pretty high and overall I am not pleased with the system...

Jan 21, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 6
I've got the PM4.1's. I actually find the system to be muddy, especially in comparison to my SR-80's and even my KSC-50's. Backing away from the system lets the horns take effect and the highs are boosted considerably to what I consider a good level. Pushing my chair to typing positioning is about 3 feet from the satt, which is poor poisitoning for use with horns, and they muddier.

Overally, I'm pleased with the system. It has some great sound for being a PC system. Great for gaming and DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back