Question about Klipsch Image S4i fitting in ears
May 17, 2014 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ctdemonet

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

For those who currently own or have experience with the Klipsch Image S4i IE heaphones, I think I am improperly putting them into my ears. I know that sounds like a "What" kind of thing, but hear me out:
Disclaimer: I use them exclusively for exercising, so there will be some inevitable sliding/movement
My right ear goes in fine with the M fitting, but I just can't get the left ear to get that nice seal that is really required with these headphones for optimal listening. The L is a little too big (I feel like it keeps getting pushed out) and the S is way too small. The fitting with 2 ridges (not sure the proper term) is really nice for blocking out sound, but it really hurts my left ear like a sharp pain and I get a lot of earwax buildup.
What I'm really asking here is: is it possible to push these things too far into your ear? Basically my experience is that there are two "depths" to which I can push these headphones in.
1) The are sitting nicely in my ears, but I feel super conscious about constantly pushing them back into place to get that nice seal. Sometimes they slide so loose it will distort the sound. At this depth, the left ear is moderately comfortable but the sound quality is not as good as I know it could be
2) If I really push them in there, the right one kind of passes a "hump" or a little dip or whatever (I think it just fits deeper into the acoustic meatus) and gets a super nice seal. The left ear, on the other hand, feels like it is going "too far in" and I lose the seal and I think the fitting kind of collapses on itself, cause when I pull it out to fix it or re-insert it, it kind of flips back as if it was being pushed/folded

I'm really at a loss for what I can do. I haven't tried the L/left ear M/right ear yet, maybe that will do the trick.
I really want to like these headphones as they seem to have really positive reviews on Head-Fi and in general and I'm quite happy with them so far (still in the burn-in phase - only had them for about 4 days). But this fitting thing is really gonna be a pain in the ass that I can't overlook soon.

If anyone could provide advice or their experience, would be much appreciated!

TL;DR The left ear I cannot get quite comfortable enough to get that good seal for maximal sound quality. Have tried all the fittings - no luck. Help?

P.S. Anyone have an equalizer setting they find really great with these headphones? Currently looking into downloading a tweak/app that will give me equalizer settings on my iPhone and interested to know what people have experimented with and found the best.

May 17, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Ah, welcome to the wacky ear canal headphone club. :) I have the opposite of what you described, where my right ear is the troublemaker. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I ended up giving up on universal IEMs altogether. For whatever reason, my left ear was always perfectly happy, using various size/material tips for all kinds of IEMs... but the right ear never, ever cooperates. It gets a seal for a few minutes, then *pop* and I push it back into my ear. Repeat every couple of minutes for endless frustration.

I did get some closure, though. I finally ordered a pair of custom IEMs, and the audiologist remarked on my right ear canal having "an interesting shape." Go figure.

More to your specific trouble with the S4i - I tried a pair at one point, but I couldn't find a suitable fit so I gave them away. I don't think they're designed to go super deep in the ear canal, I'd be careful with how far you try to force them. I did notice that the larger earpieces could get past the cartilage "hump" and maintain a seal, but it only lasted for a little while. Definitely try differing the earpiece sizes though, I've had a little better luck with that in some cases. I'm usually a medium or large in the left ear, and a small in the right.

Good luck!

May 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 6
  Ah, welcome to the wacky ear canal headphone club. :) I have the opposite of what you described, where my right ear is the troublemaker. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I ended up giving up on universal IEMs altogether. For whatever reason, my left ear was always perfectly happy, using various size/material tips for all kinds of IEMs... but the right ear never, ever cooperates. It gets a seal for a few minutes, then *pop* and I push it back into my ear. Repeat every couple of minutes for endless frustration.

I did get some closure, though. I finally ordered a pair of custom IEMs, and the audiologist remarked on my right ear canal having "an interesting shape." Go figure.

More to your specific trouble with the S4i - I tried a pair at one point, but I couldn't find a suitable fit so I gave them away. I don't think they're designed to go super deep in the ear canal, I'd be careful with how far you try to force them. I did notice that the larger earpieces could get past the cartilage "hump" and maintain a seal, but it only lasted for a little while. Definitely try differing the earpiece sizes though, I've had a little better luck with that in some cases. I'm usually a medium or large in the left ear, and a small in the right.

Good luck!

For the longest time, I used the Bose IE2s and I just fell in love with the proprietary wingtips that make such a snug & secure fit in your ear. The sound quality may not have been the best (maybe lacking a little thump in bass) but to me it was phenomenal and fulfilled all my needs. I also liked how they allowed a little background noise in by not creating a seal so I could still be alert to outside noises while working out.
Sadly, the cord had some seriously messed up strain and over time reduced the length from folding and twisting on itself to the point I couldn't use them anymore (I'm 6'4" so I need long cords!). Too bad a replacement is so expensive :frowning2:

Try using foam tips

Any recommendations? I've never used foam tips before there are dozens of companies and variations
Google provides this as the first hit: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/S-100/  for active users

May 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Make your own!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/383917/how-to-best-custom-tips-for-iems-ever-imho-with-pics/120_30

http://www.head-fi.org/t/169789/homemade-foam-ear-tips-for-iems/0_30

I would recommend using the
Howard Leight MAX-1 earplugs

May 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 6
In case someone sees this in the future and is wondering what I did to solve my problem, I did the following:
I use the flanged/ridged tip in my left ear, the medium tip in my right. But the big thing is doing the "athletic" fitting where you put it in then twist the cable behind your ear so the stem of the buds are horizontal. That really helps keep the buds locked in and really reduces them sliding out from sweat/earwax/general use.

Thanks for the advice and best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back