Question about iPod nano 5th gen and EQ.
Jul 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

humanafterall

Head-Fier
Can someone that owns this generation, verify if the EQ distorts on this particular model when it is turned on?  The reason I ask is because I demo'd one in an Apple store with the B & W headphones they had plugged in, and I checked the EQ and turned it on and listened, and I did'nt hear any distortion on their loaded tracks. I just want to make sure that I wasn't imagining what I heard, can anyone here verify if the 5th gen nano's EQ distorts when enabled? I'm thinking apple stores don't mp3gain their tracks before loading them on to the iPods, or aacs

...and please stick to the topic if you're replying, I'm not into starting debates about "iPod EQ, blah blah"...Thanks

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Can someone that owns this generation, verify if the EQ distorts on this particular model when it is turned on?  The reason I ask is because I demo'd one in an Apple store with the B & W headphones they had plugged in, and I checked the EQ and turned it on and listened, and I did'nt hear any distortion on their loaded tracks. I just want to make sure that I wasn't imagining what I heard, can anyone here verify if the 5th gen nano's EQ distorts when enabled? I'm thinking apple stores don't mp3gain their tracks before loading them on to the iPods, or aacs

...and please stick to the topic if you're replying, I'm not into starting debates about "iPod EQ, blah blah"...Thanks

Well when dealing with EQs and the heavy use of them, you have to be aware of the pre-amp and its setting. The problem with iPod EQs is that it you can't control the preamp so you can get distortion.

Some settings don't really have this problem such as the Rock and Acoustic, which I used to use when I had an ipod, but others like Bass Boost and stuff distort the sound because the preamp gain is too high. 

What I would say is that if you don't have too many songs, you can adjust the preamp volume of the song with mp3gain or some other  program like that and when you use the iPod EQs they won't distort. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:

Well when dealing with EQs and the heavy use of them, you have to be aware of the pre-amp and its setting. The problem with iPod EQs is that it you can't control the preamp so you can get distortion.

Some settings don't really have this problem such as the Rock and Acoustic, which I used to use when I had an ipod, but others like Bass Boost and stuff distort the sound because the preamp gain is too high. 

What I would say is that if you don't have too many songs, you can adjust the preamp volume of the song with mp3gain or some other  program like that and when you use the iPod EQs they won't distort. 

I already know about gain and all that jazz, but not the answer I'm looking for. Thanks for the insight anyways.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the latest gen iPod Nano (5th w/camera), and the EQ does distort. My 5.5G & mini don't distort w/the EQ engaged - but the classic and Nano do. I tested my son's classic (sitting by my side ATM) to confirm.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I have the latest gen iPod Nano (5th w/camera), and the EQ does distort. My 5.5G & mini don't distort w/the EQ engaged - but the classic and Nano do. I tested my son's classic (sitting by my side ATM) to confirm.

Thanks for checking that out for me nywytboy68 (thats a mouthful)..Maybe someone at the Apple store ran those tracks through mp3 gain, or the tracks weren't that loud to cause distortion on the EQ. I am hoping, that the precedence they set for iOS 4 with the non distorted EQ will carry over to future versions of iPod software for the whole line, and not just the touch. Cheers.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for checking that out for me nywytboy68 (thats a mouthful)..Maybe someone at the Apple store ran those tracks through mp3 gain, or the tracks weren't that loud to cause distortion on the EQ. I am hoping, that the precedence they set for iOS 4 with the non distorted EQ will carry over to future versions of iPod software for the whole line, and not just the touch. Cheers.

I will say my touch 64gb doesn't distort in the least, but the volume level is pathetic in comparison to the Nano and classic - it's a real bummer IMO. And I mean w/the EQ on as well, as the touch SQ is just crisp & clean,..........and I was considering getting a classic in the fall myself (after the iPod refresh in Sept).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back