Question about IEM's
Mar 13, 2006 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Neomop

New Head-Fier
I've had my eyes on a few IEM's for awhile (Mainly the Er6i / UM1) and I'd just like to ask for some information on how they work from this community, as this is my first time ever going to use anything other than stock headphones.

First of all, are these IEM's a pain to put in and take out? Do I have to waste time to properly fit these in and take them out every time?

Since these are IEM's, I've heard that they can attract noises like the wire bumping or scraping with clothing or thumping noises while running? Are these all true? I wouldn't be running with these, just mainly walking, but I don't want to be hearing any other noises other than my music.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 13
Bump, wondering if anyone could give me an answer quickly? I'm deciding whether to purchase a pair on eBay right now
basshead.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 13
I've had the um1s, so I'll chime in a bit. After a few days, inserting and removing them becomes quite natural and painless. Though if you're using the tri-flanges . . . your results may vary. They can be painful sobs.

As for microphonics/occlusion, the um1 exhibits very little. I don't even notice any when walking or during other normal movements.

Be wary though, if your source inherently has low-level hiss (i.e ipod) it's gonna be annoying. You'll hear it during silence and quiet passages.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neomop
I've had my eyes on a few IEM's for awhile (Mainly the Er6i / UM1) and I'd just like to ask for some information on how they work from this community, as this is my first time ever going to use anything other than stock headphones.

First of all, are these IEM's a pain to put in and take out? Do I have to waste time to properly fit these in and take them out every time?

Since these are IEM's, I've heard that they can attract noises like the wire bumping or scraping with clothing or thumping noises while running? Are these all true? I wouldn't be running with these, just mainly walking, but I don't want to be hearing any other noises other than my music.

i've only used the the UM1 so:

no, the UM1s are not. if you have a little water in your ear, just putting them in with triflanges will give you an amazing seal. it is quick, don't worry.

they can attract noises. it is called microphonics or something. the UM1 is supposed to be pretty good in this respect because of the coiled-type wire.

if i leave it on with a seal, i can hear myself walk, breathe, etc., although it is not super prominent and the music drowns most of it out. most of the time though when i am walking, i purposely do not get the best seal so i can hear what is going on outside, and it greatly reduces microphonics so whatever was left of the walking sound is gone.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 13
From my non-technical perspective, I'd say that while IEMs are not a pain to put in and take out, they do take a little getting used to -- particularly if you haven't used any of the less-expensive canal phones (Creative, Sharp, Sennheiser, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc.) and so have no experience with in-ears of any kind. (I won't count earbuds, as they rest in the outer cartilage of the ear -- or they're supposed to, before they fall out!) IEMs will be second nature, but probably not the first few days (if you're being careful with them). Fit is important to the process, and you'll have to think about it a little at first, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. If you're buying your first pair for a long airplane trip, for example, experiment with them for a few days before leaving (and they are ideal for airplane, bus and subway travel).

My Etymotics with the two-flanged tips insert deeply into the ear canal, providing excellent isolation from outside noise; with those tips, they do take a few extra seconds to delicately extract them without pulling on the wire. That took getting used to, but then I transitioned to the foam tips, and I find the Etymotics more comfortable and easy to put in and take out that way.

I haven't used the UM1's, but several posters on these forums say they're comfortable and well constructed. The Westones suggest routing the wires over the ears -- I had thought that would be a problem with my Shures, but it's not a big deal at all (some say that helps reduce microphonics).

I haven't had problems with microphonics (if it's there at all, it's part of the price you pay for isolation), but the Westones might experience that less than the Etymotics, based on the type of cabling used. I don't know if that's been much a factor with many IEM users (unless they're chewing and swallowing -- that can be a little weird at first
eek.gif
).

Enjoy whichever IEMs you end up getting -- their chief advantage is isolation (and portability), and from that you benefit from not having to use such high volume, and you can concentrate on your audio when you're out and about.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

It depends on what tip you use. Foam or trifanges = yes, bifanges = no.

Quote:

With the music on I do not hear any noises while walking.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 13
PS: If you're hesitant about seal, isolation and microphonics, get a less-isolating in-ear 'phone such as the Creative or Senheiser. They will have less-fussy fit, and might be easier to use at first. A lot depends on how much isolation you want or need. Where will you be using them?

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
PS: If you're hesitant about seal, isolation and microphonics, get a less-isolating in-ear 'phone such as the Creative or Senheiser. They will have less-fussy fit, and might be easier to use at first. A lot depends on how much isolation you want or need. Where will you be using them?

Well I planned on using headphones on the bus, or when I'm at school where there's tons of people chattering at lunch or something, just to get away from the noise.

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Sounds like an ideal situation for IEMs, they'll block out a lot of that noise. Keep in mind that different tips will block different amounts, depending on the design and the shape of your ear. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit. And allow some time to fiddle with them before giving up in disgust!

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

One more thing, how where do these IEM's block out noise from outside? Will I be able to hear anything? Or just muffled noises and etc.

I have the ER-6i's and, as with all IEMs, they block out noise because you insert the tips far into your ear canal--another good idea is to try out some earplugs because that's how they work and feel. I can't hear much else besides the music with my Ety's on (that's the point isn't it?
icon10.gif
). In fact, I wouldn't walk around a busy college campus with them on.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

One more thing, how where do these IEM's block out noise from outside? Will I be able to hear anything? Or just muffled noises and etc.

They act like ear plugs. You can still hear things without your music on but once you turn on the music it's like being deaf to the outside world.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 13
I had Shure e3cs for about a month. I found them annoying to get in and out and even with foamies they weren't completely comfortable. I heard no microphonics, but walking sounds like a series of earthquakes while they're in your ears. I sold mine and now use Beyer DT-250s for portable.

I know others love IEMs but I would strongly recommend getting a cheap or used pair to try before investing big bucks. Better yet, borrow some if you can and try them for a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back