Question about Iem's that are $200+
Jan 15, 2013 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bcd127

Head-Fier
I am just kind of confused on how stuff can be so expensive. I understand the custom aspect of things. But does that much money really make a difference? i guess im more so thinking of sound rather than build quality, but im sure that increases as well. i really just dont understand too well on how they can get to be so expensive. Lend a hand in help me learn? Thank you!

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 7
 It's pretty much the same we've seen with computers/laptops over the years... you can buy a $300 desktop, but for the same specs in a laptop, you'll pay $600. Pour it in a super sleek ultrabook format and you'll pay $1000 for the same specs. Smaller means more $$... It's quite simple, the available space in a IEM is limited. This makes designing a IEM harder. Combine that with more and more complicated designs, higher quality components and last but not least, a target audience willing to pay the price... And you have a recipe for expensiveness...

But on the other hand, the high end stuff does pave the way for others. When I first looked into multi BA IEMs, the cheapest available was around $250. Now with the likes of Fisher Audio (and various rebrands), they can be found at well under $150.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 7
That's a bit like asking how a bookshelf-speaker can cost more than $300, isn't it?
redface.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 7
I was sent this photo a few days ago that sums up pretty well.

As you can see this is how the audio world works with headphones. Pretty much IMO, you pay $500 to get the sound of what I personally think we should be getting for $200, but spend a little more time here and $200 doesn't seem like much at all. We have members floating around with $1200+ universal IEM's. and still relay back to the chart. It's called the price of diminishing returns, how the audiophile world works, it's awkward to grasp hold of at first.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I was sent this photo a few days ago that sums up pretty well.

As you can see this is how the audio world works with headphones. Pretty much IMO, you pay $500 to get the sound of what I personally think we should be getting for $200, but spend a little more time here and $200 doesn't seem like much at all. We have members floating around with $1200+ universal IEM's. and still relay back to the chart. It's called the price of diminishing returns, how the audiophile world works, it's awkward to grasp hold of at first.

Yea, true. Because i know when i first got here i thought it was crazy to pay $40 for headphones. Now i dont even think its horrible to pay around $150.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
 It's pretty much the same we've seen with computers/laptops over the years... you can buy a $300 desktop, but for the same specs in a laptop, you'll pay $600. Pour it in a super sleek ultrabook format and you'll pay $1000 for the same specs. Smaller means more $$... It's quite simple, the available space in a IEM is limited. This makes designing a IEM harder. Combine that with more and more complicated designs, higher quality components and last but not least, a target audience willing to pay the price... And you have a recipe for expensiveness...

But on the other hand, the high end stuff does pave the way for others. When I first looked into multi BA IEMs, the cheapest available was around $250. Now with the likes of Fisher Audio (and various rebrands), they can be found at well under $150.

Oh. i guess i didnt really think about space inside. I guess it does make sense.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 7
depends on what budget / level of 'sanity' you possess

the last 2.5 years since i entered head-fi , my IEM budget has always been between 100-250 $

re-zero (100$) was the cheapest , RE-272 (250$) was the priciest and in between came RE-252 , RE-262 ,EQ-5 between 150-230 $

imho , the best tactic is to go for the best value for money iem your budget can get you

i am eyeing the 400$ RE-600 , but i know that shelling 2 times the money i paid for RE-272 (200$) won't get me an IEM that's 2 times better

but if i had a lot of money to spent , i'd probably aim higher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back