Question about hooking up PC speakers to Xonar Essence STU
Nov 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

caddie444

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I recently picked up a Xonar Essence STU for my PC and am so far impressed with it. I only use it for headphone use and it drives my Beyer Dynamic DT880 pros pretty well.

I managed to get a hold of some old Logitech Z5500 surround sound series speakers for my PC, but am having trouble hooking them up to my computer via the STU.

The back panel of the control module for the z5500 looks like this:

z5500-innganger.jpg

The side of the z5500 control module looks like this:
z10.JPG

The back of the Essence STU looks like this:

asus_xonar_essence_stu_back_panel.png

I want to hook up my speakers via the STU, but can't figure it out. Is it even possible?

Any help is appreciated!

Caddie444

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 6
  I recently picked up a Xonar Essence STU for my PC and am so far impressed with it. I only use it for headphone use and it drives my Beyer Dynamic DT880 pros pretty well.
I managed to get a hold of some old Logitech Z5500 surround sound series speakers for my PC, but am having trouble hooking them up to my computer via the STU.
The back panel of the control module for the z5500 looks like this:
The side of the z5500 control module looks like this:
The back of the Essence STU looks like this:
I want to hook up my speakers via the STU, but can't figure it out. Is it even possible?
Any help is appreciated!
Caddie444

The Z5500 was designed to work with a source with 6-channels (5.1) of audio.
The Essence STU can only output 2-channels of audio.
You might be able to do an "expanded stereo" with the Z5500, to pump 2-channels of audio out of the Z5500's 5.1 setup.
If your computer has an optical port, you can connect the Z5500 to that optical port and use the computer's on-board sound card to work with the Z5500.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I have an old 6.1 sound card I can use, but I will also be shopping for some monitors!

The JBL LSR305 seems to have loyal fans, $300.
Monoprice has good prices for their in house studio monitors, $170 & $255.
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s sometimes are on sale for, $332.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Since you are in Canada, see if you can find some Paradigm or PSB used passive bookshelf speakers. Excellent quality speakers from Canadian companies, and you should be able to get good values on the used market. Then get an Indeed t-amp off Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back