Question about heat shrinking cardas connector for HD600 cable
Mar 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

debitsohn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, i got a cable made recently and theres static and the sound goes in and out. i think it has to do with strain relief on the connector. what size heat shrink do i need? is that all ill need to make it secure? would i have to redo the cardas connectors? help! thanks
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 10
It's more likely to be a loose connection between your headphone and the small cardas connectors. If the cable is brand new presumably it's less likely the cable would have loose soldered connections. Perhaps try hold the plug firmly against the headphone and wiggle the cord right before the connector around and see if it still happens.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3/8 if I recall correctly.

great. thanks! now that will fit over the connector when the cable is already completed right? will that be enough for strain support? i guess posting a pic would help huh.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 10
The strain relief is to keep cable flexing and twisting from being transmitted to the actual solder points, which could lead to crackling and bad sound. If you already have crackling when you bend the cable right now, a strain relief isn't going to properly solve that - you have a bad/weak connection somewhere that needs to be fixed first.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The strain relief is to keep cable flexing and twisting from being transmitted to the actual solder points, which could lead to crackling and bad sound. If you already have crackling when you bend the cable right now, a strain relief isn't going to properly solve that - you have a bad/weak connection somewhere that needs to be fixed first.

DOH. think ill need to buy new cardas connectors?

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DOH. think ill need to buy new cardas connectors?

You shouldn't need to buy new connectors. Likely one of the solder joints was weak and gave because you had no strain relief. Just reflow the solder and it should connect again. Make sure you don't move the parts when the solder is hardening. Once you reflow all the joints then heatshrink and you should be good to go.

Another good strain relief idea is using hotglue, superglue, etc. on the connector after soldering (and after testing of course =]). That way even if you do pull on the cable it's not only pulling on the connection, but also on the entire casing via the glue.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 10
+1 Yeah, try reflowing the solder, should be fine. Once it's good and you don't get any problems, get some strain relief in place to make sure things stay that way. Make sure the heatshrink will fit over the connector heads (2:1 heatshrink probably won't).

Epoxy can also be used, and it flows in-between wires better than hot-glue (since it doesn't dry as quickly) although it's definitely permanent once it dries.

Another option is adhesive-lined heatshrink which will do a better job (than normal heatshrink) at transmitting cable stress to the body of the connector (instead of the solder points inside), although some of that stuff tends to barf excess glue as it shrinks, so it's not as pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back