Question About Headsave Classic...
Oct 9, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaou
With the gain set appropriately, would this amp be sufficient to power a pair of DT880s?

Yes

piccolo - I thought you werent going to ask anymore amplifier related questions
mad.gif

J/K
eggosmile.gif
LOL

Oct 9, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwight
I was going to ask that exact same question. I'd be upgrading from a MINT, and was wondering if it was worth the cost.

Maybe....maybe not.

If I were to upgrade from the mint - I would get into the Corda HA-1, PPA...stuff like that...or even tubes. You will be really hard pressed to differentiate between the Mint and a Classic...not a real upgrade - maybe a sidestep with a different sonic presentation.

Cheers!

Oct 9, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 18
The mg-head OTL w/ upgraded tubes sounds great with dt880s, can usually be found for $250 used. I had this combo, and it was real good.

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 18
seconded. The MG Head + Tubes is an excellent tube amp to start with. Another brilliant tube amp is the Woo Audio 1 and the Woo Audio 3. I have a review which I will be putting up here tomorrow. If you want to read the review lemme know and I will set up an FTP and give you the link to download it.

Cheers!

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 18
What would be the next step after the MG Head? I have one and it's just not doing it for me. I need more low bass extension and more airy highs.

Btw, I'm not trying to thread-jack.
icon10.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 18
Aurora, PPX3 or MPX3 perhaps? Or maybe a source upgrade? (I honestly know nothing about your source, just making a suggestion)

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Aurora, PPX3 or MPX3 perhaps? Or maybe a source upgrade? (I honestly know nothing about your source, just making a suggestion)

Yeah, I'm considering a Singlepower, but I need to hear one first.

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 18
I've never tried one myself, but I would love to hear what RS1s sound like through a tube amp.
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I've never tried one myself, but I would love to hear what RS1s sound like through a tube amp.
biggrin.gif

Just brilliant...especially if the tube amp has a warm character. RS-1 + PPX3 was a STUNNING match...warmth, bass and a liquid smooth midrange. Treble did not butt in and spoil the party as is the wont of grado headphones powered by an unruly amp.

RS-1 is highly recommended with a powerful tube amp...

Oct 10, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
seconded. The MG Head + Tubes is an excellent tube amp to start with. Another brilliant tube amp is the Woo Audio 1 and the Woo Audio 3. I have a review which I will be putting up here tomorrow. If you want to read the review lemme know and I will set up an FTP and give you the link to download it.

Cheers!

I would definitely be interested in reading it. I can't seem to find any info about them, even price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back