Question About Headroom Desktop Amps
Mar 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

northfaceseen

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I have a quick question that I am unable to find an answer to. How much output power whether it be mW or W do the Headroom Desktop Amps put out at say 300ohm, 64ohm, and 25ohm headphones? I currently am powering HD650's with my Asus Xonar Essence STX card with 2 brown dog adapters with 2 OPA627au's on each. I know that there is a difference in raw power output and quality clean power output. I am just curious on how much of a gain I would see with one of the desktop or possibly the Ultra Micro amp?

Thanks,

Northfaceseen

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by northfaceseen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question that I am unable to find an answer to. How much output power whether it be mW or W do the Headroom Desktop Amps put out at say 300ohm, 64ohm, and 25ohm headphones?

About a half Watt.

Quote:

I currently am powering HD650's with my Asus Xonar Essence STX card with 2 brown dog adapters with 2 OPA627au's on each. I know that there is a difference in raw power output and quality clean power output. I am just curious on how much of a gain I would see with one of the desktop or possibly the Ultra Micro amp?

Actually, I think it would have a lot more to do with other things (isolated power, Diamond-buffer output amp design) than the somewhat general measure of output power, but it's true that the parallel 627s may be a little underpowered for some cans.

Oh, and sorry about your wallet, dude. (Traditional Head-Fi n00b greeting.)

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply Tyll, one more question.

What is the difference between the Ultra Desktop special order price $1198 and the Ultra Micro Amp normal price $599? Besides inputs and outputs does the desktop model offer more driving power or better control and clarity?

Thanks in Advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back