Question about headphone value over time
Dec 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sya0

New Head-Fier
Hello, 
I am not sure if this is the right place to post questions like these. If not, I would appreciate any feedback to improve my future posts.

I currently own a pair of ATH M50s/LE's that I may want to sell in the future. I was curious if the value of these headphones (and Limited Edition headphones in general) will either increase or decrease over time. 

Secondly, at what prices do these particular headphones usually sell for? The pair that I currently own show very little signs of wear, with 100 to 150 hours of playtime. The pads are in good condition. The box, as well as the original packaging and accessories, are still present. When listening to them, they sound as good as the day they were received, if not better.

I am also looking to sell a pair of Monster Inspiration Noise Cancelling Headphones. Regarding the recent sales of these headphones (~$99 usd), would it be better to sell them now, or afterwards? I am not sure if there will be more discounts in the future (I predict that there will be from what I've seen), which may affect the price I can sell them at.
- They are in very good condition due to minimal use, and come with all original accessories and packaging. Not really sure why I bought them when I did.

Additionally, I wish to sell my Shure se215's. The pair in question show signs of use – mainly the fading of either side of the Shure logo on the exterior face of both earphones (first two letters are fading). However, the sound quality has definitely not deteriorated. 
- I still have the original packaging and accessories as well. At what price(s) could these be sold at?

I apologize for the lengthy post. Thank you to all who kindly express their ideas and share their knowledge. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 3
Prices are always whatever the market will bear. If someone is looking for whatever you are selling, then you might sell them. If not, then you have to lower the price until someone decides they will buy them at the lower price.

There are many types of headphone buyers. Some are "traders" - they buy a headphone to try it out, then trade or sell it to buy something else. This allows them to get experience with lots of headphones and, hopefully, along the way they learn what they like and don't like. Others are "collectors" - they buy headphones that interest them, perhaps because they are limited edition, or perhaps because they are no longer available, or perhaps because they simply represent a milestone in headphone history. Collectors rarely sell their headphones, or, if they do, it is only because they have managed to acquire a better example for their collection. Others are "accumulators" - they buy headphones because they want to hear and own as many as they can. Like the traders, they are often trying to experiment with different brands and styles to improve their sound, but like collectors, they rarely sell their headphones - not because they are building a valuable collection, but more because they have some hoarder tendencies and they never want to give any of them up.

Unless you are talking about very limited production summit-fi headphones that are no longer produced, most headphones depreciate rather rapidly - especially if they are common as dirt like the ATH-M50 & SE215. You need to discount them and hope there aren't 3 other people all selling the same thing at the same time.

Finally, if this was an attempt to sell your headphones and bypass the forum rules, then a pox on you - and I hope the mods bring down the ban hammer.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the informative reply! 

I did not have any intention to sell the items I specified, either through the internet, or in person (well, not just yet). My sincerest apologies. 
Perhaps I will part ways with my headphones if the time comes. I appreciate your warning as well – I will take care not to infringe on any forum rules that I am aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back