Question about Headphone Cables
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AstroCEO

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So, I recently purchased a Silver Dragon V3 Cable from Moon Audio for my pair of headphones, but I was curious. What companies compete with Moon Audio for Headphone cables? Also, from a general audiophile consensus, what is considered the best headphone cables on the market?

I am new to the aftermarket cable world, and I can't find much good reading for it online.

Thanks, AstroCEO.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello,

So, I recently purchased a Silver Dragon V3 Cable from Moon Audio for my pair of headphones, but I was curious. What companies compete with Moon Audio for Headphone cables? Also, from a general audiophile consensus, what is considered the best headphone cables on the market?

I am new to the aftermarket cable world, and I can't find much good reading for it online.

Thanks, AstroCEO.
There are just as many that swear by cables as there are that say cables don’t do a thing at all. I’m more ambivalent on the subject. I think some of the materials make a bit of difference but not going to pay $2K for a cable . The higher end cables look nice and feel good but is it worth the price I don’t know but if you have the money what’s the heck guarantee it won’t sound worse and you have some sweet looking cables. I like to make my own cables when I stop being too lazy and I tend to buy wire from Toxic , Norne and DHC yes it is expensive over buying Mogami quad microphone cable but I don’t wrap my cables and like the looks of braiding. Do they sound better I don’t know and really don’t care as I have the money to buy the wire and Eidolic connectors (again more expensive than others but I like the way they look).
Bottom line you can stick with stock as most are fine and well built or try your hand at some custom cables the choice is ultimately yours and no one else’s . WyWires , Norne ,Danacable , Toxic and Double Helix are some of the higher end makers but do make some that are not nose bleed expensive and have heard some from them and it did not degrade the sound for me and most are built very well and if not I’m sure they would rectify it and they do look very nice as well.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, my discussion isn't about whether or not they make a difference or not. Over the stock cable, it sounds worlds different (better) to me. I am more interested in the competitors with Moon Audio for Headphone cables, and reviews from anyone that does have them. I'll read a little about WyWires, Norne, Danacable, Toxic, and Double Helix some.

@buke9 , are there any brands besides those (whether higher end, middle, or lower) that are widely accepted/used by the 50% that says that cables do make a difference?

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 6
The few headphones cables companies I've heard about are:

Hart audio
Periapt cables
Moon Audio
Corpse Cable

I have 2 custom made cables from Corpse Cable and love them.

I don't think there is anything close to a consensus on the best cables. I replaced mine because the stock cable on most headphone is garbage being non flexible, not of the proper length, cheaply made and transmit a lot of contact noise.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Are you aware that there is a forum here called “Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories”
Lots of discussions about cables, and most of the builders will get mentioned somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back