Question About Headphone Amp & RCA-to-Optical Combo, & Heresy
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

monkeeboi

New Head-Fier
Hello Guys,

Not too long ago, my schiit stack broke and I was looking to replace it. I was thinking of just buying the Magni 2, but it dawned on my that I may not even have to buy the Modi 3. However, I am not entirely sure so I come here for expert advice as I am still new to the audiophile world. I have an ASUS Maximus Hero X WiFi-AC motherboard if that's important (since i'll be using the optical port from this motherboard).

Q:
If I bought the Schiit Magni 2 and bought an RCA-to-Optical converter, would the sound quality be the same as buying a Schiit Modi 3?

What are the benefits to having a dedicated DAC instead of using a converter?

Is it a heinous act if I do use a converter?

Thank you guys!

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 8
An optical to RCA converter is a DAC with optical input and RCA output, it's just another way to describe it. If a DAC product is marketed as an "optical to RCA converter," I think it probably was not designed for discerning audiophiles. It was probably designed for someone with a TV who is searching for something with the right shaped holes or cables in order to connect their TV to speakers and have them make sound. Meaning it's probably a cheap DAC. If you want a cheap DAC, just use the motherboard's 3.5mm output. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, a decent motherboard's onboard audio can be very good these days.

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 8
An optical to RCA converter is a DAC with optical input and RCA output, it's just another way to describe it. If a DAC product is marketed as an "optical to RCA converter," I think it probably was not designed for discerning audiophiles. It was probably designed for someone with a TV who is searching for something with the right shaped holes or cables in order to connect their TV to speakers and have them make sound. Meaning it's probably a cheap DAC. If you want a cheap DAC, just use the motherboard's 3.5mm output. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, a decent motherboard's onboard audio can be very good these days.

Thanks for putting this situation into perspective!

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Not too long ago, my schiit stack broke and I was looking to replace it. I was thinking of just buying the Magni 2, but it dawned on my that I may not even have to buy the Modi 3. However, I am not entirely sure so I come here for expert advice as I am still new to the audiophile world. I have an ASUS Maximus Hero X WiFi-AC motherboard if that's important (since i'll be using the optical port from this motherboard).

Q:
If I bought the Schiit Magni 2 and bought an RCA-to-Optical converter, would the sound quality be the same as buying a Schiit Modi 3?

Yes but what kind of Converter is it? Because a DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter. On desktop units they can take USB, coaxial RCA SPDIF, or optical SPDIF, or all or a combination of these, convert the digital signal into analogue wave form for an amp that comes out of its RCA sockets.

Bu there's such a thing as a DDC - a Digital to Digital Converter. That one typically converts USB into RCA coaxial SPDIF, or RCA coaxial SPDIF to optical SPDIF.

There's an easy way to check - are there two RCA sockets labelled Output L and R? If yes, that's a DAC. Maybe not as flat a response as the Modi or even your soundcard/motherboard, maybe it might have noise, or the analogue output isn't 2v (then again, the Modi has 1.5v), etc, so it can be a cheap and crappy DAC, but it's a DAC. But given you have that motherboard, as much as I'd prefer sending an optical SPDIF from its soundboard to the Modi2 Uber just to shorten the analogue signal path, compared to a cheap DAC I'd much rather hook up the Magni2 to the analogue L and R line output on the motherboard.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Hello Guys,

Q:If I bought the Schiit Magni 2 and bought an RCA-to-Optical converter, would the sound quality be the same as buying a Schiit Modi 3?
Thank you guys!
A RCA to optical converter might be a ADC, (analog) RCA jack to (digital) optical jack converter.
Or a RCA to optical converter might be digital coaxial (RCA) to digital optical converter.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back