Question about getting into colleges
Sep 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

XxATOLxX

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I started high school I've been doing poorly in school. I neglected my school and procrastinated my way all throughout high school, which got worse when I got a driver's license. I ended up graduating with a 2.4 GPA.

Now I go to the College of Southern Nevada and am going for my associates in business in 2 years, then eventually on to an MBA. My question is: How do I get into the best business school possible? Would doing well in college be enough to have them just skip over my bad high school report?

Also, when should I start sending out applications for admissions?

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 10
I can't answer specific questions about business school, but I can say, do the very best you possibly can in whatever classes you're taking now! Schools to which you apply in the future will be more willing to overlook poor high school performance if you demonstrate a good work ethic and grades at college.

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 10
The traditional way of approaching B school is to get a job or intership for awhile and have them pay for it. It's not solely a monetary incentive - depending on how prestigious your internship and how well you perform there (this will be key - no offense but you're not going to get a Goldman Sachs internship so make up for lost ground here), you can get good recommendations, which is key.

Also, a bachelor's will help significantly.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 10
1. Get either BA/BS/BBA and make sure you stay about 3.5GPA from a reputable college (higher the ranking, tougher the degree the better, as such the GPA requirement is proportionally related to the reputation of your school and your degree)

2. Work for 2 years hopefully in an area of business you plan to pursuit

3. Perfect your GMAT is a sure way to get into Wharton, and having a stellar GMAT score (>700) is a must for prestigious biz schools considering people from all over the world apply to the best MBA programs in the US. As such your competition is transnational.

GL

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Nobody cares about high school once you're in college, unless you were valedictorian or something unique like that (even then...). Don't worry about HS at all.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Once you are in college, high school vanishes. It no longer is important.
Your college GPA is.
You need at least a 3.0 and a couple years work experience would be helpful to get into an okay MBA program (i.e., Youngstown State University).
Internships are valuable.
You get a 3.5 gpa or higher, good internships, work a couple years and study for the GMAT (and score really high) and you may get into Harvard.
You don't have to attend Harvard or Wharton to have a good career, but these schools are valuable for high level of education, networking, and name brand recognition.
Go to the best school that you can get into, but even second best is okay. If you end up at a University of Pittsburgh or Iowa State University in an MBA program, you still will have great career possibilities (just try to end up in the top 10% of your class).

Good luck. Get those internships. Get those grades. Get a job after the BA or BS in business. Study hard for the GMAT. Then apply to as many schools that you can afford to apply to (5? 10?) and see what develops.

Cheers!

Oh BTW, you'll need a good pair of headphones to ensure your success. I recommend a pair of Grado 325i to help you stay awake while you study, study, and study!

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

You'll need a bachelor's degree (usually 4 years) and at least two years of work experience to get into most MBA programs.

I echo all the advice that's been given so far. Your high school grades won't matter in the slightest, but your undergraduate grades will matter enormously and can only be partially offset by a stellar score on the GMAT. You should concentrate on getting good grades at school this year. This is going to be harder than you think. A 2.4 GPA in high school is terrible, and high school is a cakewalk compared to university. It's extremely easy to slack off in university as well, particularly in a softer area like business. I'd suggest looking for a mentor who you keep in touch with, give you advice, and who can monitor your grades and act as an ongoing source of accountability.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 10
I'll repeat what others have said, your high school gpa won't matter much, or at all. When I applied for grad school I only sent my undergraduate grades.

But what remains to be said is that if you had 2.4 gpa, your studying ethics are probably as ****ty as mine. And well, that is HARD to change. VERY HARD. So concentrate of getting GOOD grades in undergraduates, do that GMAT thing (no clue what it is being Canadian) and most of all, set yourself up a study area!

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I've been trying to revise my study habits lately and trying to get rid of the old ones I've had through high school.

I'll probably update this thread in a couple of months with my first set of grades.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I started high school I've been doing poorly in school. I neglected my school and procrastinated my way all throughout high school, which got worse when I got a driver's license. I ended up graduating with a 2.4 GPA.

Now I go to the College of Southern Nevada and am going for my associates in business in 2 years, then eventually on to an MBA. My question is: How do I get into the best business school possible? Would doing well in college be enough to have them just skip over my bad high school report?

It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Reflect upon this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back