Question about gaming headset
Jun 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PL4Y3R 0N3

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. I was looking for a gaming headset to use with my Alienware 17 r3. Needs to be closed back (I'm in a dorm) and I was hoping for exceptional sound quality and game immersion.
I'm looking at the seinheiser g4me zero and hyperx cloud revolver. Would I need an amp with either?
Thanks in advance!

PL4Y3R 0N3

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Guessing the Alienware can easily drive both the 50-Ohm G4ME ZERO and 30-Ohm Revolver

Might also check out the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) headphones.

If you willing to budget a little more, check out the Soundmagic HP150.
I'm guessing their are at least roughly equal to the G4ME ZERO or HyperX Cloud Revolver for gaming.
And I'm fairly sure the HP150 would sound better, then the other two.

Not sure exactly what audio hardware the Alienware 17.r3 comes with

To try to make a noticeable improvement in audio quality.
Guessing your looking at at least $90, for something like a Hifimediy DAC/amp, to try to improve audio quality
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/spdif-dac-110V?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Guessing the Alienware can easily drive both the 50-Ohm G4ME ZERO and 30-Ohm Revolver

Might also check out the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) headphones.

If you willing to budget a little more, check out the Soundmagic HP150.
I'm guessing their are at least roughly equal to the G4ME ZERO or HyperX Cloud Revolver for gaming.
And I'm fairly sure the HP150 would sound better, then the other two.

Not sure exactly what audio hardware the Alienware 17.r3 comes with

To try to make a noticeable improvement in audio quality.
Guessing your looking at at least $90, for something like a Hifimediy DAC/amp, to try to improve audio quality
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/spdif-dac-110V?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

Thanks for the suggestion PurpleAngel. I'd prefer not to get a seperate headset and mic so I don't think I'll go with the soundmagic. I'm new to the high end sound thing so I have a ton of questions. I'd like to avoid an amp but I've heard a lot about the "7.1 Dolby surround sound" and I was wondering if it was really all it was cracked up to be. Can you still tell direction without it?

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the suggestion PurpleAngel. I'd prefer not to get a separate headset and mic so I don't think I'll go with the Soundmagic. I'm new to the high end sound thing so I have a ton of questions. I'd like to avoid an amp but I've heard a lot about the "7.1 Dolby surround sound" and I was wondering if it was really all it was cracked up to be. Can you still tell direction without it?

Any headphone that comes with a mic, is usually referred to as a headset.
So you really looking at getting a headset.

You can get Creative's SBX Headphone surround sound software, it will work with your motherboard's on-board audio.
There is also Razors software.
Not sure you can get Dolby Headphone without having to buy an external sound card.
Both Creative (Go) and Asus (U3) offer external sound cards starting at around $40.

About Dolby Headphone or Creative's SBX headphone surround sound.
Might try asking here if either one is worth it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added/35760

As long as you get headphones (Headset) that are around 32-Ohms to 60-Ohms, the laptop should be able to drive them.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 8
no headsets. use your best pair of headphones and buy a 20$ clip on mic - it will be better than any "gaming headset". 

I'm currently using my best headphones but I want to get a headset for streaming. Getting them seperate would lead me to lose the mic... Like immediately. I wouldn't have it 4 days be ore it gets balled up and tossed somewhere or dropped in a sink or other. So I want to buy them seperate knowing full well the quality I'm sacrificing. Right now I want to minimize losses, thus the sennheiser headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back