Question about Gaming Headphones
Jul 1, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Instinct /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@thebeastman

How are the HD595s for listening for footsteps? I was thinking of buying them because the HD555's are popular among CSS players, and I'm looking to go beyond that. I'm looking for audiophile phones (less than $200) that will primarily allow me to hear footsteps clearly (and perhaps hear them at a further distance) and in the correct direction. A second would be for it to perform well overall in music. I do not need that immersive feeling in games, just footsteps + music. I will be using a creative titanium fatal1y sound card. I don't have an amp or have any knowledge about them.

Anyone know if the DT 770s are good for gaming? I know it is reccomended you need an amp, but how is it without one?

I had no problem hearing footsteps when I had my 595. The clarity depends on your headphone experience.. The 595 sounded clear to me, but after owning the DT880/SA5000/DT48, you realize how muddy and congested they are..

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Instinct /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if the DT 770s are good for gaming? I know it is reccomended you need an amp, but how is it without one?

Wondering same thing....

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #48 of 61
After experimenting a bit with your suggestions about settings i found that with 5.1 speakers and headphone cmss activated i could spot footsteps to over 90% exactly in terms of degree, but information about the distance between me and the footsteps seemed to be lost.
When deactivating headphone cmss i could vaguely guess the distance but the 3d-localisation got much worse.

What about this setup?
beyerdynamic Shop*-*Headzone Game

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxtest83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After experimenting a bit with your suggestions about settings i found that with 5.1 speakers and headphone cmss activated i could spot footsteps to over 90% exactly in terms of degree, but information about the distance between me and the footsteps seemed to be lost.
When deactivating headphone cmss i could vaguely guess the distance but the 3d-localisation got much worse.

This is one reason I generally prefer to use Dolby Headphone rather than CMSS-3D (i.e. Xonar rather than X-Fi). It seems to convey distance information much better, giving a more realistic experience. Picking out the exact direction of sounds isn't quite as clear as CMSS-3D but the info is still there.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had no problem hearing footsteps when I had my 595. The clarity depends on your headphone experience.. The 595 sounded clear to me, but after owning the DT880/SA5000/DT48, you realize how muddy and congested they are..

x2

you don't need to move to phones like that if you have a good music setup though, so the HD595 would fit your purpose well. I do feel the AD700 does everything in gaming a tad bit better than the HD595, but you can't really go wrong with either one.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

you don't need to move to phones like that if you have a good music setup though, so the HD595 would fit your purpose well. I do feel the AD700 does everything in gaming a tad bit better than the HD595, but you can't really go wrong with either one.

I prefered the AD700 over the 595 for gaming, but for music I favored my 595.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #52 of 61
I know that the AD700 has the best soundstage but if I want to LAN, I can not because it is an open helmet.
The A700 is it good, he keep AD700's soundstage? or dt770pro is better?
What is the best between the A700 and A900 in game? (counter strike)

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how will u hear ur teammates if u use a closed HP..

Skype? Ventrillo? In game chat? Teamspeak?

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #55 of 61
I couldn't give you an advice regarding headphones, as up until now I have used a cheap Philips, semi-open pair, but as settings go, I use gaming mode, eax enabled, cmss enabled (cmss surround NOT expand), crystalizer enabled, smart volume management enabled and headphone mode. In, general, in FPS games I can hear direction and distance of footsteps pretty good.

Oh, I use a X-Fi Platinum (on PCI).

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ LAN?
I use the ad700's @ LAN as well as @ home, and its pretty awesome..
ive tried the senns pc350.. and i cant hear anything outside.. and I think listening to ur teammates calls and spotting is more IMP than overall sound.. and when its crucial, im sure they will be quiet to allow you listen to the sound..

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ LAN?
I use the ad700's @ LAN as well as @ home, and its pretty awesome..
ive tried the senns pc350.. and i cant hear anything outside.. and I think listening to ur teammates calls and spotting is more IMP than overall sound.. and when its crucial, im sure they will be quiet to allow you listen to the sound..

yes, you use ventrilo/mumble/teamspeak on LAN

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, you use ventrilo/mumble/teamspeak on LAN

x3 Open headphones are useless at most LANs, especially something as open as the ADs.

Between the A900 and A700, I've only tried the A900 and owned the A900LTD, but from what I researched a while ago making a buying decision, I got the impression that from strictly a gaming standpoint, there's minimal difference. It's only when you want to listen to music that you will start noticing it. However, I've seen some good prices on the FS forums for A900, that it might be worthwhile picking it up anyways.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #59 of 61
Yeah, desktop microphones are usually quite good at taking your directed voice. Of course, I haven't been to a LAN to tell, but so long as the mic is close enough to you I think your voice will be clear enough to hear over all the other noise. Plus think of your ears... open headphones, so you have to turn them up much louder than normal, then people have to shout at you over top if you're not using voice software. I don't want to imagine how bad that would be.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #60 of 61
I use my K501 for gaming... its excellent positioning helps me to hear where the Hunters and Smokers are coming from in Left 4 Dead
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back