Question about gain and volume
Aug 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tight_budget

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a Firestone audio icute amp, and it has a low gain / high gain switch. I'm currently using my ipod as a source, connected via a 3.5mm to RCA cable to the amp. I've ordered a Line Out cable for the ipod, but it'll take a while to arrive since I don't live in the US. In the meantime, should I play music at the minimum volume on the ipod and crank up the volume on the amp or vice versa?  Does it matter whether I use low gain and turn up the volume knob, or high gain?

thanks!

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 3
It can depend on your hornyness brotha, but seriously I believe it can depend on what headphone or earpiece you are wearing. On some ear phones, the high gain may be too much and some may prefer the more softer lower gain. Experiment and use your ears. It's your ears that matter most in what you like and what your sonic taste is.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 3
I'd set the ipod to the maximum level that does not introduce any audible distortions and keep it that way, while setting gain and volume to my liking on the amp. The connection between ipod and amp is your weakest link: it can introduce noise and pick up interferences. Your amp will be amplifying these unwanted artifacts together with the signal. The stronger the signal, the less impact they will have.

Regarding the gain setting: some volume controls produce uneven amplification of signal between L and R channels, which is especially pronounced in the low volume range. If you feel that the balance shifts when you adjust volume while in high gain mode, then low may be better for you. Otherwise it should not make any difference, however check also for impact on soundstage and warmth, as I have experienced some subtle changes in my amp when toggling between high and low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back