Question about frequency responses of 4 favorite headphones
Aug 28, 2023 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Diethard Kuehrt

New Head-Fier
Hello,

thanks to the @kopfhoerer.de page, I was able to superimpose the frequency curves of my 4 favorite headphones with photoshop today. As if I hadn't guessed it, the DT1770Pro has a slump in the fundamental range. I assumed it by hearing it, but it was confirmed here again. In this case, the Denon D9200 has a significantly better frequency response, followed by the HifiMan Edition XS and the DT1990Pro. In the medium highs, the HifiMan even has a better frequency curve than the Denon D9200, which shows a clear increase there. Maybe I'll give myself a magnetostat in the future, especially since the price is more than attractive. My Phonitor X should have enough juice to power these performance-hungry headphones.

Is the HifiMan really that good and would you prefer it to the Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro?

I am just faced with the fundamental question of whether I should swap the DT1770Pro for the Denon D9200 in the closed area and buy the Hifiman for the open area. In terms of processing, the Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro is given the better rating.

Greetings Diethard
Kurve_Vergleich_DT1770Pro+DT1990Pro+AH-D9200+HifiManXS.jpg

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 3
The XS is definitely smoother and wider sounding than the DT1990. I've noticed that certain Beyers and Ultrasones are tuned more aggressively, and that might be your preference depending on what you listen to. The 1990, however, can get sibilant. So if you're sensitive to that, I would suggest taking it off your list.

The D9200, in my opinion, is among the best closed back there is. They only have some comfort issues for some.

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 3
I've had all except the Denon and can sum up three at least.
Dt1770 I wouldn't get them again, too soft a sound even with the velour pads. The DT770 250 ohm are a better value.

DT1990 Fun for music or gaming with the A pads, the B pads lose detail and more boring.

Edition XS I currently have two of these. A little more fun bass than the dt1990 but smoother treble, never harsh. The Ananda Stealth is even better if you can get one open box from Hifiman at a similar price.

My daily driver is a Simgot EA500 with Dunu S&S tips which I like better than all of them for $79. The exception is the soundstage which is obviously bigger on the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back