Question about FLAC files
Oct 14, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 19
On AllOfMp3... if the recording is listed as 'OOEX' then what you get will be encoded from a CD .WAV file, equal to ripping from a CD. If it is listed as 'OE' then what you get will be transcoded from a 384 kb 'freeformat' MP3 file.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu
Interesting.

I am now hearing that allofmp3.com is a pirate site. What's up with that?

I've read around and I'm not sure...seems like they were under investigation earlier this year for that but nothing came of it. Anyone have any further idea? I hope not, cause this is an outstanding site for music.

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinhobs
I've read around and I'm not sure...seems like they were under investigation earlier this year for that but nothing came of it. Anyone have any further idea? I hope not, cause this is an outstanding site for music.

I posted this in another thread-other people had different ideas-but I'm not quoting them as I think I'm right
icon10.gif

From what I've read (sorry no hard evidence) no-one in any country has ever been prosecuted (succesfully or not) for using Allofmp3. I also think RIAA would make quite a public fuss before prosecuting Allofmp3 users.

See this quote from a Slate article

3. Will American users of Allofmp3.com get sued?

Not likely. The Recording Industry Association of America has been bringing about 700 suits per month, but they're against uploaders—people who make music available for copying—and not downloaders. According to Justin Hughes, an associate professor at Cardozo Law School, this distinction is for obvious evidentiary reasons: The only way to catch a downloader is to actually get onto her hard drive and find the files, or spy on the transmission from the uploader to the downloader In KaZaA, Grokster, and Bittorrent, every user is both an uploader and a downloader—my price for downloading "Papa Don't Preach" from you is to let your roommate download "Like a Prayer" from me. But Allofmp3.com is different; users download music but they don't upload it. None of the RIAA's 8,000 lawsuits has involved such a scenario.

and also this article

http://techlawadvisor.com/blog/2004...3com-legal.html

particularly "If they claim to have the licenses the end user might be seen as an innocent infringer if not on notice"

Here's another interesting discussion

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arc...threadid=259565

Bottom line is I'm satisfied at the moment that it's legal, but I agree it is wise to watch developments (or try and download their whole catalouge in flac lossless by next week-encrypt all your files with fingerprint access only and move to a remote part of Alaska).

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 19
I just wish other sites would move in the direction of allofmp3-not in terms of debatable legality but by using their model of price by the mb downloaded, different formats, and most importantly variable bitrates. I personally wouldn't mind paying more if I had that type of choice. I like many things about itunes but 128 kbs is a dealbreaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back