Question about Fiio Aspen and Andes with iPod Classic 5.5
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jayteeare

Head-Fier
Hello all.

So I have my ipod 5.5 hooked uo with a Fiio L9 cable (30 pin to 3.5mm) and connecting it to the aux in on the Andes/and Alpen. I wanted to know, if I chose to not use the LOD line of 30 pin and just just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, one in the headphone jack from the ipod and the other end to the aux in on the dac/amp, will the sound I be hearing from the Fiio device be a degraded version than if i had used the LOD? WHat essentially happens here when you use the headphone jack to the dac/amp? I thought it just transferred over the 1's and 0's of the binary code, and it was the DACs job to read it and covert that to analog, with the end result being hearing the music solely as translated by the dac amp.

Am i correct in assuming that doing it headphone jack on ipod to aux on the portable Dac(either Andes or Alpen) will only carry the sound over bypassing the DAC and only allowing the dac/amp to be used a amp, since the DAC isnt resolving anything?

I know people always say the LOD has superior sound, but is this still true if using an external dac like the ones I mentioned above?

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 3
Am i correct in assuming that doing it headphone jack on ipod to aux on the portable Dac(either Andes or Alpen) will only carry the sound over bypassing the DAC and only allowing the dac/amp to be used a amp, since the DAC isnt resolving anything?
Hello, good day.

Yes, if you use the headphone jack 3.5mm from the Ipod to the AUX input of the Fiio, the Fiio DAC will be bypassed (and not used), the Fiio will be used only as amplifier.

Sep 9, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Hello, good day.

Yes, if you use the headphone jack 3.5mm from the Ipod to the AUX input of the Fiio, the Fiio DAC will be bypassed (and not used), the Fiio will be used only as amplifier.
Thank you so much! exactly what i was hoping for an answer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back