bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
i just found an external audio card that will bypass my sound card.
http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1-Pro/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

will this improve my sound to the extent i will not need a dac/amp

or would it be smarter to get a dac.
my soundcard is integrated and is a conexent card. and it sounds like utter garbage.

thanks for your help.
i am interested because a local store sells this and i wont need to order online. is it a worthwhile investment for $70.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 13
bump

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 13
It's not even marketed as a high fidelity product, if you want to stick with Creative a Sound Blaster X-Fi HD is probably better at $79.90, for a bit more money you could have the EMU 0204 USB (creative pro gear entry level) or the Nuforce uDac 2, both at $129.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 13
Used this for a few days, it's complete garbage. Don't waste your money on this, for $70, you can get much better.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 13
bcasey25raptor, what exactly are you planning to do and listen to?

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
bcasey25raptor, what exactly are you planning to do and listen to?

listening to primarily rock and metal music.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Are you listening through headphones?

For the price, the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD would be a much better purchase. I know that being able to deal locally is more convenient, but for the very small price difference, the gear is quite different.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 13
I love my X-Fi HD for a multitude of reasons. It's a very versatile interface for digital audio going from, or to the computer. Right now, I use mine to send 24/96 from my computer to a Toslink input on my Sony TA-E9000ES, as well as the X-Fi HD's ADC to get my collection of vinyl onto the computer. The X-FI HD is indeed advertised as an audiophile quality device, and, from what I've heard from it so far, I think the marketing folks are telling the truth about it. BTW, before using the X-FI HD's USB to optical function, I used the X-Fi HD's DAC to convert USB to analog, and that sounded indistinguishable from USB to optical ,using my preamps digital receiver to convert to analog . The only complaint I have with the X-FI HD is about its  poorly written and incomplete operator's manual, which made getting off to a good start somewhat sketchy.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 13
i am primarily using headphones and i also have a 5.1 surround sound speakers system i cannot hook up because my laptop is only capable of stereo.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Is 5.1 output a necessity? Telling which headphones you have would make it easier to advise for or against a specific soundcard.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 13
shure srh750dj i heard they need an amp but i am prettyu sure its because my soudn card sucks. my ipod sounds better.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 13
My laptop also has a conexant onboard chipset, and it's really bad, so I know your pain
wink.gif
I quickly got a cheap stereo X-Fi USB to replace it, then I got a better DAC and an amp right after, so now I'm more or less set for now.

Seems your headphones would somewhat benefit from amping, but they're not exactly power hungry, and that X-Fi HD USB would provide quite a clean sound from many reviews out here.

It is a possibility for you to get that one? Or perhaps you could ask at that store if they could order the X-Fi HD USB.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
My laptop also has a conexant onboard chipset, and it's really bad, so I know your pain
wink.gif
I quickly got a cheap stereo X-Fi USB to replace it, then I got a better DAC and an amp right after, so now I'm more or less set for now.

Seems your headphones would somewhat benefit from amping, but they're not exactly power hungry, and that X-Fi HD USB would provide quite a clean sound from many reviews out here.

It is a possibility for you to get that one? Or perhaps you could ask at that store if they could order the X-Fi HD USB.

ok thank you very much. i am glad someone out there understands me when i say my conexant sucks. i will look into getting a us audio card. i will ask the store regarding ordering an hd x-fi. as i want best quality i can get for cheap(under 150$)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back