question about ety's
Sep 12, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 23
dougbrad81 writes:

Quote:

have you considered a custom earmold ...

I got custom earmolds made when I bought the Etys, but they were not made to provide a complete seal. I use them sometimes, but prefer the sound and the isolation with the rubber tips. The earmolds I had made didn't place the earspeaker as far into the ear canal as the rubber tips place them.

Since the earmolds have a hole for the Ety speaker, I've occasionally used them with my older (stiff tube) Koss Plugs. They sounded pretty good--very bright, mucho high emphasis, but lacked the detail and overall quality of the Ety sound.

Impressions for earmolds have to be made by licensed audiologists (at least that's the case here in NY state). The Etymotic website lists dealers who can make earmolds as well as sell you the Ety phones. That's probably the best way (although not necessarily the least expensive) since they know how to place the holes for the earspeakers. And, I found that they charge considerably less for the whole package than they would to make the earmolds separately.

Re comparing the sound with the foamies, I've never used them since I couldn't get them to stay put in my ears.

The Sonys with the little "bass hump" on the front are the only earbuds that stay in my ears. Most others fall out easily, including a newly purchased set of Senn MX-500s
frown.gif
. I've even tried the SlicSounds, but they don't go in very well, and the hurt my ears. Very frustrating situation with earbuds.

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 23
dougbrad81

RE: Amp use...

I've got a JMT built CHA47 (Cinnamon Altoids). Sounds very nice with the Ety's although was configured with Grados in mind. Were I to want amp today to use with Etys, I'd go for a META42 (actially, would love to get two META42... one for more portable use and one just for home use).
biggrin.gif

For pure portable listening without the amp, I just use the plain ER4P from a Pana SL CT 570. When I'm just hanging out at home, I use the adapter cable and the amp and a standard CDP.

IMHO, the 4P is an amazing headphone by itself. The fact that you can get such incredible sound from portable sources blows my mind. And, by adding the adapter cable and amp, the quality level goes up another notch.

I love these cans for home use and they've become my primary cans. But it's almost as if they were almost MEANT to be used for air travel! Amazing sound plus the ability to block almost all noise.... The only thing you can hear/feel while flying is the low rumble of the jet engines... and even then it's more an issue of feeling the rumble more than something you really hear. I'm actually almost much looking forward to a cross country flight coming up in a couple weeks.

You're probably going to find a bunch of folks at this site that are almost evangelical about their Etys. That's the kind of sound quality that they provide. Consider me one of the converted.

Hope you have the same experience! Come, join us, become of of the few, the proud, TEAM ETYMOTIC!!!

Bruce

Sep 13, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #18 of 23
Let me offer a word of caution about the custom earmolds. I had a set made, and used them for a while, but found that they were very hard on the plastic stems of the phones -- which broke twice, and Etymotic graciously replaced, even though the units were no longer under warranty. This suggests that: 1) Etymotic has one helluva a customer service policy; 2) acknowledges that there is a problem with heavy duty use of the units with the silicon earpieces. I would love to see Etymotic come out with a version with metal stems, rather than plastic, but, until then, I'm not using the custom earmolds.

I use the foam tips and love them. They're a trifle less comfortable than the silicon tips, but infinitely more comfortable in my ears than the rubber tips (I must have small ears).

Sep 16, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 23
Actually there are three sizes of foam eartips. The medium sized eartips come standard. They are 13mm in diameter, and are made from the same material (except they are black) as the yellow foam earplugs used industrially. By the way we have finally received the longer foam (1/2" long vs 3/8") and you should start to see them soon.

The smaller foam eartips are beige and are 10mm in diameter, and the large (dropped the jumbo description) are 17mm in diameter.

If you roll the eartip between your thumb and finger you will get better results than just squishing them.

We have seen many cases of improperly manufactured custom earmolds. The stem and part of the larger part of the transducer should fit into the earmold. When they don't it is too easy to break off the stem.

We can't make the whole ER-4 in metal because we have to make electrical connections.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 23
well got ety 4p yesterday (thanks headroom). and what can i say that already hasn't been said. these are, simply put, amazing. i was worried that i might have issues with comfort, but was plesantly surprise how comfortable they were. i didn't notice them anymore after about five minutes. even though they cost quite a bit, i have to say i've got no regrets.

one thing i'm having problems with is removing the sillicon eartip. can someone tell me the easiest way to remove them?

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 23
One word: Pull!!!!

Although they seem quite delicate, these cans are remarkably tough. Just grab the rubber tip in one hand, the body (the largest part of the headphone) in the other, and pull! Should slide off without toooooo much resistance. It's been really easy for me to swap tips to find what works best.

Enjoy! And, welcome to team ETYMOTIC!!!!

Now, time to work on getting an amp or two, upgraded source, new interconnects, new music, etc.

You can now appreciate the usual greeting from folks at this site... "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet."

Bruce

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
[We have seen many cases of improperly manufactured custom earmolds. The stem and part of the larger part of the transducer should fit into the earmold. When they don't it is too easy to break off the stem.

We can't make the whole ER-4 in metal because we have to make electrical connections.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research [/B]

Thanks for the information in regard to the 3 different sizes of foamies. I have only seen the standards.

As for the earmold question, I had mine made at Earmold Design, which was one of the firms that someone (don't remember who) at Etymotic recommended. I think one of the problems is that the Transducers tend to slip out the molds, and hence the user is tempted to push them in tighter on a regular basis -- and hence create the stress on the plastic tips. Too bad about not being able to make those stems metal. It would produce a much more durable product.

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #23 of 23
Duetta,

Sometimes the recommended manufacturers make the earmolds wrong.

For the best performance the some of the thicker part of the ER-4 should be countersunk into the earmold. Also if the drilled tube in the earmold is more than a few 5 mm past the stem the green filter should be removed from the stem and placed near the end of the sound port of the earmold.

It is possible to make most of the unit in metal. The end cap which is also our socket would either have to remain plastic.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Users who are viewing this thread

Back