Question about Emu 0404
Feb 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

waivted

New Head-Fier
Sorry for the newbish question but does the Emu 0404 USB also function as a sound card or only as a DAC? I only have an integrated sound card right now and I am looking to upgrade. I'm trying to use my computer as a source right now and the information is kind of overwhelming. If I need a separate sound card what is a good option? My budget is between 100-300 usd. Thanks

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 4
It can be (and usually is) used as an external sound card/DAC combo.No need for that seperate sound card and it will (if desired) simply bypass your original one altogether.......

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the response. I actually just did some more reading and realized that my question has changed. Currently I have an onboard sound card that is connected via RCA to an Onkyo 805 receiver. My speakers and headphones are then connected through the Onkyo. I guess the question I have now is that if I was to get a better sound card would that improve my sound quality? If so what are some good options?

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Well the 0404 USB is what I have experience with....and IMO it would serve you well here. I connect my integrated amp (that powers my speakers etc.) directly to the 0404 . The E-mu also has its own inbuilt headphone amp thats certainly no slouch and may well be a whole lot better than the one on your Onkyo. There may well be other options out there , but (given its sheer flexibility and excellent SQ) ...IMO its very hard to beat for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back