Question about Ebay
Nov 12, 2001 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Daniel

New Head-Fier
Trying to get some (****ing) v6's offa ebay. This is my first time getting something off of ebay, please help.

I haven't met the reserve yet, but i'm willing to go much higher, but it only bids me a dollar more than the last guy.

How do i meet the reserver?
and
If i big WAY over the reserve, will my big say just one dollar over the reserve?

Nov 12, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 4
That means that you are still below the reserve price. If you put a maximum bid above the reserve price, then the reserve price will now be your bid. That's the way it works... heres an example:
I'm a seller and I put a reserve of $400 on my item.
There are currently 14 bids on the item and its at $200
You're a bidder and you put down $210... since it isn't anywhere close to the reserve but is still above the maximum bid of the other bidders, the new value that shows up is $205 (you will still have the highest bid until someone puts more than $210 on the item). However, since you have not met the reserve, you will not win the item.
Let's say that you get pissed and really want the item and stick $500 as your maximum bid. The system recognizes that you are above the reserve of $400 and now it shows that you are the highest bidder with $400 on the item. At this point, all bids will have a chance of winning the item without worrying about a reserve price. And it will keep incrementing you on top until someone bids more than $500.
Personally reserve prices on items discourage more bidders... the best eBay technique is to have a high starting value in that type of situation. I personally start all my auctions at $5 no matter what there value, because I believe that the auctions will always end up at the most money I can make in the current market.
Sorry for ranting, but I love talking about eBay. Good luck with your auction!
Oh, and here are the answers to your questions:
1. You won't know what the reserve was until someone bids over it
2. If you bid way over the reserve, then it will start you at the reserve and increment you in order to beat other bids until it hits your maximum bid. Problem is, you won't have any control over the price between the reserve and the maximum bid... so you better cross your fingers and hope that no one bids $499 (in my previous example) and makes you dish out $500.

Nov 12, 2001 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 4
I checked out the auction I think you're looking at. It's at $41.00 and the reserve is not yet met. You can put whatever amount you want in there and it will continue to bid incrementally on your behalf until your bid is beaten. 3 pieces of advice:

1. you could stay up for the 5+ hours left in the auction and with about 2 minutes to go, put in the price you are willing to pay. If you get it, great...if not, no biggie. I noticed that the seller is paying the shipping...that's good.

2. That particular seller has 0 feedback. That's not good. That means he has never sold anything before. He has no history. He could be a crook, an idiot or worse. Since at $41 the reserve is not yet met, who knows what that knuclehead might think he can get for them. They might end up going for more than you could get them elsewhere..

3. You could just buy them here like I did and be done with the whole thing. If you want to read about my buying experience click on

this thread for the whole story.

In any event, ebay is fun and you can get good deals. This one might not be worth the hassle of staying up all night and end up saving $5...good luck

quick note: obviously you could put your amount in and go to bed and see if you won in the morning...if his reserve was not too high, you'd probably get beat by the nearest increment as people tend to lurk around and slam dunk bids at the last possible minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back