Question about E500 nozzle length
Jul 31, 2006 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
Apparently, Shure has increased the length of the nozzle on the E4 series IEM's, as noted by Bob in this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191596

There was a picture posted by somebody showing the different lengths a couple of days ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, getting to my question, can any of you fortunate folk with new E500's tell me if the nozzle length on the E500's is short like the old E4c's or long like the E3c's and "new" E4c's? As a point of reference, the nozzle length on the "old" E4c's is just about exactly equal to the length of the core tube in a Shure yellow foamie.

The shorter nozzle length was one of the many things I liked so much about the E4c's in comparison to the E3c's--they fit perfectly in my ear canals without worrying about jamming them in too far.

I'm battling the urge to order the E500's, and if they have long nozzles, perhaps I can fend off the inevitable a bit longer.

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Apparently, Shure has increased the length of the nozzle on the E4 series IEM's, as noted by Bob in this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191596

There was a picture posted by somebody showing the different lengths a couple of days ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, getting to my question, can any of you fortunate folk with new E500's tell me if the nozzle length on the E500's is short like the old E4c's or long like the E3c's and "new" E4c's? As a point of reference, the nozzle length on the "old" E4c's is just about exactly equal to the length of the core tube in a Shure yellow foamie.

The shorter nozzle length was one of the many things I liked so much about the E4c's in comparison to the E3c's--they fit perfectly in my ear canals without worrying about jamming them in too far.

I'm battling the urge to order the E500's, and if they have long nozzles, perhaps I can fend off the inevitable a bit longer.

I think the impetus for the longer nozzle was that the grey flex sleeves were coming off in peoples' ears. As I mentioned before, there is a lot about the e4cs to like, but the new nozzle length is not one of them.

It's not a deal-killer, but I have considered calling Shure to ask for the old, shorter nozzles.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 9
considering the new nozzle lenght, has anybody tried the UM56s with the e500 yet? There was a question about whether they would be compatible with these phones.

-Jeff

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Can't comment on the E500 tube length as it relates to the other IEM's you mentioned but tip security should be of little concern as Shure has added a barb to the tube. You'll have one heckuva time getting the tips off when you try much less having one come off inside your ear!

I'll say it again, the E500's fit my ear like no other IEM I've tried and they're by far THE most comfortable to date. JMO but I have so suspect that unless one is going with a custom earpiece, these are absolutely the bee's knees!
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 9
Actually the longer nozzle is a concern for my ears. When I use my Westone ComplyTips short with my E500, I find that my right side earpiece is too long for my right ear canal and the right earpiece hangs out of my ear.

It's not an issue with the PA758 (gray soft sleeves) because you push those all the way in. Unfortunately you cannot do that with the ComplyTips.

The same issue should come up with the PA750 yellow foams because the end result is a longer distance as you cannot compensate the longer nozzle by pushing the PA750 any farther in since the core of the yellow foams is short and a given.
********** SCRATCH THE ABOVE... ***********

I just managed to push the ComplyTips all the way into the E500 nozzle. Lack of muscle, I guess... We will be testing them further now with the sleeves in the right position for my ears
280smile.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
considering the new nozzle lenght, has anybody tried the UM56s with the e500 yet? There was a question about whether they would be compatible with these phones.

-Jeff

I use the UM56's with the E500's and not only does the combination work, but I believe the slightly longer nozzle keeps the UM56's a little more stable in the ears than with the UM2.

Sep 6, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
How is the sound quality for E500 with UM56 pete?
Thanks.

I take back earlier what I said in this thread about the UM56's being more stable in the ear, that was my initial impression and wrong. I had a hard time figuring out whether or not the UM56's were oriented correctly not only on the nozzles,but when placed in my ears as well. With the UM2's, the UM56's can just lock in place with some slight rotation of the earpiece after insertion. Couldn't do this with the E500.
I liked the sound of the E500's with the UM56, but after a week I did an A/B with the UM2's and flat out preferred the UM2's with the UM56's. I found the E500's to be less musical and to have almost no impact with the UM56's compared to the UM2's. The UM56 is a definite improvement for the UM2. I'm not so sure about the E500. I think the UM2's benefit a lot more with a custom tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back