Question about driving the fostex hpa8 amplifier (convert voltage to us?)
Dec 3, 2021 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sloomingbla

500+ Head-Fier
So, I've recently ordered the fostex hpa8, which is shipping from japan. It is going to be paired with my fostex th900s.

Now, I am certainly not an electrician, and from what I've read the hpa8 uses 100v, and I need to buy a transformer to convert the voltage from 120 volts (Usa standard I think?) to 100 volts for the amp. Most transformers for japan to usa say 110 -> 100 volts though, so I'm kinda confused by this.

To add onto it, there is a certain wattage of the transformer, and I have no idea how many watts this amp will need ._.

Anyone have any idea on what transformer to buy, or other factors to consider?

And a second, optional question - I've read in a forum that someone said there is an internal switch that can be flipped to change the voltage, which would mean not needing a transformer. I have my doubts that anyone here knows about this, but I can't find anything on google. If anyone has any idea if that is something I can or cannot do, let me know! Otherwise, thank you all for reading!

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 4
The internal transformer voltage can be switched by moving a jumper. It's very easy, you just need a secure screwdriver bit to open up the cover. The set I ordered is no longer available, but this one looks like to be basically the same.

Once you get the cover open, the jumper is clearly labelled with the available voltages. It's been a long time since I switched mine, but I know there was no guess work involved.

This post has pictures.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 4
The internal transformer voltage can be switched by moving a jumper. It's very easy, you just need a secure screwdriver bit to open up the cover. The set I ordered is no longer available, but this one looks like to be basically the same.

Once you get the cover open, the jumper is clearly labelled with the available voltages. It's been a long time since I switched mine, but I know there was no guess work involved.

This post has pictures.
Ahhh yes! That will save me lots of money and headaches, thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back