Question about Dolby Setting on PS3
Jul 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
On the Audio Output Setting, I have the option of checking of Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 and 176.4 Hz. I'm using a astro mixamp and a HD 598, so should I check these off? Currently I have these three checked off: 

Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. , Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz 

Question is if I should check off the other Linear PCM as well for superior sound quality. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
On the Audio Output Setting, I have the option of checking of Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 and 176.4 Hz. I'm using a Astro Mix0amp and a HD 598, so should I check these off? Currently I have these three checked off: 

Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. , Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz 

Question is if I should check off the other Linear PCM as well for superior sound quality. 

As PCM is just plain 2-channel audio and I'm assuming your connecting to the Astro with an optical cable (6-channel 5.1)
Just have the Dolby Digital 5.1 enable and all PCM turned off.

But I'm far from a PS3 expert.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 8
That's how to do it. Set your PS3 to Dolby Digital 5.1, and uncheck everything else.

However, if you have more than the optical cable connected (for example, using the HDMI cable...obviously), you can turn the Multi-Audio Out setting on, and it will send a 2 channel PCM signal to every other device that isn't connected via the optical (i.e. HDMI). That way, when you're not using the Mixamp, you can still get audio from the TV speakers (through HDMI), AND whatever is connected to the TV's audio out without having to switch your settings on the PS3. Since most TV's only do 2 channel audio out, the TV wouldn't benefit from getting a 5.1 signal, so the PS3's multi-audio out is perfectly fine.

Keep in mind that the PS3 defaults to Multi Audio Out: OFF if you tweak the audio settings, so always make sure it's on after you tweak any audio settings.

My setup:

PS3: Dolby Digital 5.1 through the optical cable > Mixamp
Multi Audio Out: On
HDMi to TV
TV's audio out: (optical out on my TV) > Fiio D3 DAC > Vizio Soundbar's RCA in (my optical input is broken on the soundbar). Had my optical worked on my soundbar, I wouldn't need the Fiio D3. Most TVs tend to have RCA audio out instead of optical, so use the proper cable for your setup.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
That's how to do it. Set your PS3 to Dolby Digital 5.1, and uncheck everything else.
However, if you have more than the optical cable connected (for example, using the HDMI cable...obviously), you can turn the Multi-Audio Out setting on, and it will send a 2 channel PCM signal to every other device that isn't connected via the optical (i.e. HDMI). That way, when you're not using the Mixamp, you can still get audio from the TV speakers (through HDMI), AND whatever is connected to the TV's audio out without having to switch your settings on the PS3. Since most TV's only do 2 channel audio out, the TV wouldn't benefit from getting a 5.1 signal, so the PS3's multi-audio out is perfectly fine.
Keep in mind that the PS3 defaults to Multi Audio Out: OFF if you tweak the audio settings, so always make sure it's on after you tweak any audio settings.
My setup:
HDMi to TV
TV's audio out: (optical out on my TV) > Fiio D3 DAC > Vizio Soundbar's RCA in (my optical input is broken on the soundbar). Had my optical worked on my soundbar, I wouldn't need the Fiio D3. Most TVs tend to have RCA audio out instead of optical, so use the proper cable for your setup.

Thanks man. Good clear explanation. BTW you change your avatar pics a lot huh? 

Quote:
As PCM is just plain 2-channel audio and I'm assuming your connecting to the Astro with an optical cable (6-channel 5.1)
Just have the Dolby Digital 5.1 enable and all PCM turned off.

But I'm far from a PS3 expert.

Thanks! 

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 8
That's normal. Don't worry aboout it. That signal is inherent in basically all audio.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
My setup:
HDMi to TV

Thanks, this helped me quite a bit.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Glad to hear it. The PS3 is filled with some confusing options, so it took me awhile to get acquainted with it all myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back