Question about distortion in AKG 240M when monitoring high-output guitar
Jun 7, 2005 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TimR

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Not being familiar enough with this equipment yet, I thought I'd ask a question here.

I've just started using AKG 240m's in conjunction with a Boss BR-8 digital recorder for home recording of guitar, bass guitar, vocals, etc... One area of concern/disappointment with this setup is when feeding the Boss BR-8 with a high output guitar signal (that is from a humbucker pickup) the headphones distort (rattling sound) at a moderate volume on lower bass notes. The headpones otherwise sound fine with lower output guitar signals (such as from a single coil pickup), with prerecorded music (even at high volume), or with a bass guitar playing low bass notes at moderate to high volumes.

I suspect that the headphone amplifier on the Boss BR-8 is propbably not that great. Also, the recommended load impedance of the Phones jack is 8 to 50 ohms. Can any of these factors be responsible for the rattling distortion I'm hearing in the above situation or is something else at fault such as the headphones? Also, if not the headphones, any suggested remedies?

I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back