Question about digital music formats...
Jul 21, 2005 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LateNightDJ

New Head-Fier
So I just won the Sony Vaio Pocket player on ebay at a price I like ($205) and I was wondering since I am getting double the space of my 20gig iPod I was wondering if it is worth my time to rip all of my cd's into a higher bit rate.

Most of my music is at least 192 kbps and I was wondering a little about about the alternative digital formats. I have never really ripped a cd into anything other then mp3 and wma so my knowledge is a little lacking.....

Okay, well I thought I won one but it seems people are able to bid AFTER the time has ended for the auction and it goes into negative time and maybe special ebayers are allowed to do that. But whatever, I am not bitter. Maybe someone can study the quantum physics and probability of this. A worm hole or something...

So with it saying I can play wma, wav, atrac3 and mp3 then what would you guys suggest? Some cd's I want as lossless and I wonder if it is even possible to do that with it only playing these formats.

With all of the added space and not having to choose what albums I don't want on my iPod anymore what do you guys suggest?

Thanks for the input.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightDJ
Okay, well I thought I won one but it seems people are able to bid AFTER the time has ended for the auction and it goes into negative time and maybe special ebayers are allowed to do that. But whatever, I am not bitter. Maybe someone can study the quantum physics and probability of this. A worm hole or something...

I'm confused...did you win the auction or not?

Regardless, I'm a pretty critical listener and have a lot of gear (see profile). I recently purchased a Vaio Pocket and have been using ATRAC3plus @ 256 kbps. I must say that I was highly skeptical of any compression scheme, but I find the sound to be quite surprising (very good) and more than adequate for my portable listening. I currently have a ton of albums transferred to my unit in this format and have no regrets at all.

However, be prepared to get a lot of opinions on this subject. I hope you enjoy your Vaio as much as I am mine.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Well, when the auction time had ended, I theoretically had won. I mean it was into negative time and some how and some way, another bid was put in AFTER the auction should have ended.

I am bidding on another one and I will win one of these damned things or just do a "Buy it now".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back