Question about Denon cups/specs and materials?
Apr 20, 2009 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Starguard

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had the exact dimensions (including radius, bevel radius, etc.) of the cups for the Denon 2000 (I hear they are exactly the same as the 5000s). I saw a nice Sennheiser diagram that had similar specifications and I was hoping one existed for the Denon's cups.

I am interested in making my own replacement cups my headphones (some websites sell replacement wood pieces, for instance). I have access to a CNC machine and laser cutter and I thought it would be nice to write up a program and make my own cups.

Which follows my next question: how much does the material affect sound quality? I was thinking of doing a faux-Grado style cup with an aluminum shell and wire mesh in the center. I may have access to a CNC machine that can work with woods but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 4
I dont personally know, but you could contact Lawton Audio. They work on these headphones 24/7, and even make aftermarket cups, so they may (no promises) be willing to give you some inside info

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 4
Just like any material that reflects sound waves and vibrates, different densities of wood "Timbre" differently. generally the harder the woods will give you a brighter crisper reflection and the softer woods more warmth and lower frequencies. The most common is of course Mahogany, mainly for it's relatively low price and "Green" availl. as well as it's mid spectrum density. Some of the more exotic woods are similar in density to Mahogany but are usually more expensive. and of course look really cool when finished up nicely. some are endangered "Rain forest" woods and are in dispute. The hardest of the woods can be quite beautiful but as they are extremely dense lend to "Sibilance"" problems and are expensive and hard to tool. African Padauk is in favor now as well as Bubinga. Google "Exotic wood" for a whole slough of possibilities.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 4
Just because they use wood doesn't mean it sounds better in any way. One of the best cellos made is made from carbon fibre. Many of the best speakers in the world use high density fibre board and not solid wood, just like the cheaper models do. Only thing is they use a higher density of fibre board. It might be possible to make a plastic that absorbs reflections better than wood even but probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back