Question about DAC's and digital outs
Nov 17, 2005 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Trance-Addict

100+ Head-Fier
Ok im not sure if this post is in the right section but oh well its my first.

It is my understanding that DAC's convert digital to audio.

24bit burr-brown dac's are the best.

This is where my question comes in, where do you get a digital output from a mp3 player or any other portable audio source? as far as i know mp3 players only have line out or head phone jacks and I have never seen one with a digital out. If you have a mp3 player with no digital out and you are using a DAC isnt that useless?

Also I have Shure E4c headphones and I am wondering wether or not I need a amp. I dont listen to them at full volume and I dont think I need to amplify the signal to make it louder, however I would buy one if it sounds better.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi Trance-Addict, I will try to answer your questions in the most simplest terms possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

1. DACs convert digital signals to an audio signal through a line-out.
2. Whether Burr-Brown DACs are the best is questionable.
3. Using a DAC with an iPod or similar device would be impossible. There are portable audio devices that have a digital out (some portable cd players, minidisc players, and mp3 devices) however.
4. People use amplifiers not because the volume is not high enough. Amplifiers properly convert line-out signals to match circumstances that are more favorable for headphones. This results in a better sound in terms of such things as extension, richness, impact, etc. The E4c would indeed benefit from a headphone amplifier.

Regards,
Venio

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Addict
Ok im not sure if this post is in the right section but oh well its my first.

It is my understanding that DAC's convert digital to audio.

24bit burr-brown dac's are the best.

This is where my question comes in, where do you get a digital output from a mp3 player or any other portable audio source? as far as i know mp3 players only have line out or head phone jacks and I have never seen one with a digital out. If you have a mp3 player with no digital out and you are using a DAC isnt that useless?

Also I have Shure E4c headphones and I am wondering wether or not I need a amp. I dont listen to them at full volume and I dont think I need to amplify the signal to make it louder, however I would buy one if it sounds better.

Well I would say do some more searches to get a better understanding about DACs. I am not sure which statements I want to take on.. lol..

Hm...

e4s.. Will sound better with an amp, doesn't just have to do with volume.

DACs are digital-to-Analog coverters so they don't work for analog signal. So only sources (mp3 players, CD players, ect) with digital out DACs work with.

All portable players have thier own DAC built into them so you can hear the music. The question is which built in DAC and AMP inside the player is best. There is one Mp3 player (DAP) that has a digital line out.

There are many good DACs out there and also alot to do with components working with the DAC, then DAC alone.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies uhm guys.

Now I want to get one of those cool little altoid tin amps. But ill wait to see the Kenwood HD-20 with its built in amp though.

Or I am gonna look for a MP3 player with digital out so I can spend more money on a DAC and Amp and walk around looking like a cyborg.

Anyways I appreciate the help and now I walk the path of more spending.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Thanks for the replies uhm guys.

Now I want to get one of those cool little altoid tin amps. But ill wait to see the Kenwood HD-20 with its built in amp though.

Or I am gonna look for a MP3 player with digital out so I can spend more money on a DAC and Amp and walk around looking like a cyborg.

Anyways I appreciate the help and now I walk the path of more spending.
eggosmile.gif

the mp3 player with digital out is the iriver.

i'd get a go-vibe over one of those altoid ones...just my personal preference.

portable DACs are somewhat difficult to find and are relatively pricey, just in case you might be wondering...

good luck and let us know what you settle on.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Hey, it's not feasible (for me) to walk around college campus with a portable transport, portable DAC, and portable amp at the same time....heck it can be cumbersome to walk around with an amp too. To walk between classes bothering to set everything up -- takes effort (for me).

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Hey, it's not feasible (for me) to walk around college campus with a portable transport, portable DAC, and portable amp at the same time....heck it can be cumbersome to walk around with an amp too. To walk between classes bothering to set everything up -- takes effort (for me).

Thats why you should go the minimalist route. When i went with the mp3 player->amp->earbuds, i found it very irritating walking around campus with so much gear on. Sure it sounds good, but like you said it can be cumbersome. So i just went the minimalist route instead with my mp3 player and senn earbuds. They sound good to, maybe not at its best, but good enough and i dont have to think about it while i walk to class. Just a thought,
580smile.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Thats why you should go the minimalist route. When i went with the mp3 player->amp->earbuds, i found it very irritating walking around campus with so much gear on. Sure it sounds good, but like you said it can be cumbersome. So i just went the minimalist route instead with my mp3 player and senn earbuds. They sound good to, maybe not at its best, but good enough and i dont have to think about it while i walk to class. Just a thought,
580smile.gif

Hey aznsensazian, thanks for the response
icon10.gif

I am suggesting to the OP to consider the cost of carrying everything around campus...

Myself I am minimalist. I carry around the "big" portable rig more in transportable situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back