Question about DAC functionality
Jun 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MentalEclipse

Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to headphone amps and was wondering what exactly a dac is capable of. The dac I'm considering is the "Ibasso D2 Boa" and I'm thinking that it may be possible to use this dac as a possible tool for audio production. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this question...

Is it possible to have a computer sound card play audio through the dac and then have the dac play the sound back into the computer sound card in order to alter the actual audio (waves) being played in the computer? I really have no clue if this is possible, but it would be great if it could work.

I know this isn't what the dac was made to be used for, but It would be nice If I could use this amp/dac as both a portable listening device, and as a tool for music production.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 12
DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter.

The box will take a digital signal, and turn it into audible sound. You are wanting something more complex - you want a DAC, with a mixer box to adjust the sound, then an ADC(Analogue to Digital Converter) to turn it back into a digital signal.

~Phewl.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 12
I do not understand why someone would want to first convert the digital signal to analog, then convert it back to digital?

Seems meaningless to me, but I might be missing something.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter.

The box will take a digital signal, and turn it into audible sound. You are wanting something more complex - you want a DAC, with a mixer box to adjust the sound, then an ADC(Analogue to Digital Converter) to turn it back into a digital signal.

~Phewl.

Thanks for the response,

So I guess the best way this could work is to use a mixer with ADC capabilities to convert the analogue audio back into digital audio. Sounds like it could be worth a try.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 12
i believe if your using a DAC then your CDP is a transport, therefore your NOT coverting the digital to analog until you get to the DAC.

So really you not going from digital to analog back to digital...you going from digital (Transport) to analog (DAC).

Correct me if im wrong..

You can connect a USB dac to your puter, run sound through that, then run a output back to your soundcard's line-in for recording.

Now this isnt the best way to do this im sure, but it would work.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i believe if your using a DAC then your CDP is a transport, therefore your NOT coverting the digital to analog until you get to the DAC.

So really you not going from digital to analog back to digital...you going from digital (Transport) to analog (DAC).

Correct me if im wrong..

Yeah that is right, but he wants to go digital from a computer to a DAC, and then back to the computer?

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not understand why someone would want to first convert the digital signal to analog, then convert it back to digital?

Seems meaningless to me, but I might be missing something.

Software tools for music production take up computer memory which can be a hassle when doing recording and mixing. Any kind of external hardware can come in handy if you need that extra kick without worrying about the stability of the software running.

Since I'm doing all my production on a laptop, this could come in handy.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Correct me if im wrong..

You can connect a USB dac to your puter, run sound through that, then run a output back to your soundcard's line-in for recording.

Now this isnt the best way to do this im sure, but it would work.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm hoping to do with the dac. Thanks for the response.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Yes, I do some recording on my computer as well through a Echo Mia.
I might be thick and it is getting late, but I still don't see how what you explain would take any load off your computer though. Oh well, nevermind
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Like i said, its not the best way, but it will work.

Are you trying to just get the sound signature in the recording?

If not, then you might be able to record straight from the player and bypass your DAC. I think you can do a RCA to mini into your soundcards input.

What are you trying to record?

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Like i said, its not the best way, but it will work.

Are you trying to just get the sound signature in the recording?

If not, then you might be able to record straight from the player and bypass your DAC. I think you can do a RCA to mini into your soundcards input.

I was thinking that the sound signature could possibly add something to the overall mix. It's worth hearing at least if I'm going to be purchasing the amp anyway for portable listening.

Quote:

What are you trying to record?

Just my own music. I use a portable field recorder to record live instruments and record electronic instruments with my laptop. The DAC would be used with recording electronics and giving an extra kick to the sound when I finish mastering a track.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 12
You just want to run your stereomaster trough the DAC to get its flavour? not trough any outboard gear?
If thats the case you'll need a substantial ADC aswell as to hear the DAC and not the ADCs coloration.If what the DAC does to the music is really obvious it wouldn't be a desirable DAC imo..
Keep in mind you will get a higher noise floor

[size=xx-small]If this is the main purpose i'd suggest looking for a combined ADC/DAC for recording purposes and running your signal trough outboard processors to get the sound you like[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back