Question about dac/amp + tube amp connection set up
Nov 13, 2015 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drhoooon

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Centrance Dac/Amp and also a Bravo V2 hybrid amp. 

Can I use the following connection?

PC -> Centrace DAC/AMP -> Bravo V2 -> Headphones?

How would the volume control be? (For example, do I max the dac/amp volume and control it with Bravo v2 amp?)

Kind of confused how 2 AMPs would be in audio chain. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 4
How would the volume control be? (For example, do I max the dac/amp volume and control it with Bravo v2 amp?)

It's usually better to avoid double amping.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 4

It's usually better to avoid double amping.

^ this ...

If you think about it, every amp has some level of distortion.  Take the distortion + signal from one amp and then feed it to another with distortion + signal and you end up (2 x distortion) + (2 x signal).  All things being equal, that might be OK ... but it's not.  Because when you have 2 x signal, you're going to turn down the volume knob to some other acceptable level (assuming it's not already clipping).  Meanwhile, the non-sound-level-dependent distortion is still there at 2x.

That results in 2x worse listening, not better.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 4
  ^ this ...

If you think about it, every amp has some level of distortion.  Take the distortion + signal from one amp and then feed it to another with distortion + signal and you end up (2 x distortion) + (2 x signal).  All things being equal, that might be OK ... but it's not.  Because when you have 2 x signal, you're going to turn down the volume knob to some other acceptable level (assuming it's not already clipping).  Meanwhile, the non-sound-level-dependent distortion is still there at 2x.

That results in 2x worse listening, not better.

Thank you, very clear explanation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back