question about crossover frequencies when using a line out
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

revault

New Head-Fier
hello, head-fi! i'm new here.

anwyays, i am considering purchasing a subwoofer in the 100 to 200 dollar price range. current setup includes a pair of polk audio T15s, and a harman kardon hk3500 stereo receiver (from 1990). the 3500 includes a dedicated line out labeled "subwoofer out", and a volume switch for it. if i were to connect this to a subwoofer with a line in, how would the crossover be determined? would the T15s be doing a full load of work? would it be better simply to connect speaker wire from the receiver to the sub, then from sub to speaker?

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 2
The crossover frequency would be determined by the crossover setting on the subwoofer.  The "subwoofer out" on the HK3500 is a full bandwidth stereo output, there is no internal crossover in the amp.  You'll also want to feed both L and R to your sub. 

The T15s can be used either crossed-over from the sub, or direct full bandwidth, which is what I would try first.  If you elect to use the sub crossover for the mains too, then set the crossover at 80Hz and give it a try.

You could have answered this one yourself though.  Google the model and "manual", you'll get here, where you can download the PDF and read about the sub out jacks:

http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/HK3500%20om.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back